Thread: tool rest question

tool rest question

I bought a tool rest for bowl turning minus the tool post. It is an "S" style rest and for $5 I couldn't resist. I don't have any idea what lathe it is for. I have a NOVA with a 1" post and want to find a tool post for this. I can make one if need be, but would rather have the one that was made for it. Any idea on who might have made this thing?

tool rest back.jpgtool rest front.jpg

Go to the penturners.org website (also known as IAP -- or International Assoc. of Penturners). Search for Rick Herrell. He makes lots of custom lathe accessories, and his tool rests and posts are beautiful. I own several. They are modular, so I have purchased the rests in several lengths, which all fit on one post.

He can make a custom post for that rest, provided you tell him the threads used. Or you could send him the rest so you get a perfect fit. Since you mentioned a 1" post, he can make it in that size, and also customize the length of the post so it sits at the correct height (or range of heights). His pricing is very reasonable.

He has a thread on the forum that shows all his different lathe products.

I did that first. He said his threading gear is broken so he can't do it. Bummer.

4. Best wood tools makes a lot of tool rests and post and other items..........it would be good to check them out.

That rest is sold by Craft Supplies USA.......I have one of those and if I remember correctly, it has a little different thread that fits into the rest section than most others on the market.........you could certainly look it up on their website, and then call them to see if they would sell you a post. Here is the link:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/...urve-Tool-Rest
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Larry I use one of these tool rest allot. Mine came with a Delta 70-715 or something g like that ,nice rest you'll love it.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Worst case, determine what the thread is in the rest and have a piece of 1" bar cut down and threaded for the rest. A machine shop should be able to do that and the 1" material does not need to be anything special. The original design post may be a 5/8" D and too short for your Nova but a sleeve might be used if the smaller diameter post is long enough.

That blue colored one comes from Craft Supplies. I have seen an almost identical one from Powermatic that was gold colored. They are rather flat for outside work, but love the curve for inside work. Only down side to them is the cast metal, and after getting used to the hardened drill rod, I don't like them as much. I screwed the post into the tail end, and make sure to really tighten it down, and then leave it. I have no idea why any one would want two mounting holes. You set it up for the inside of a bowl, with the post pretty much in like with the rim of the bowl, and as you hollow out the center of the bowl, you just pivot the tool rest in, no need to move the banjo. You may need to file it down flat as mine has a dip in it and it drives me crazy.

robo hippy

Larry,
    Roger pointed out the link to the rest itself, but on the same site, I think this is actual post you need. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/...Tool-Rest-Post
    You might verify the threads, and they have it in a 1 inch post dia. They have this in 3 different lengths as well, 2 1/2", 3", and 6". It fits the Apprentice S-Curve Tool Rest.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper

Take it to a REAL hardware store and look for a bolt that will fit the threads. If you are lucky you might just find one, it might be a metric thread, I would check those first. If you luck out and find one, you can make your own post.

You got a good deal. I just priced one on CSUSA and they are $45. I did order the Delta curved rest for $27 for the mostly small stuff that I do. I think Woodcraft sells different sized posts, too.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith