Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SuperMax Sander question

I'm wondering about the weight distribution with the motor on the right side I'm thinking it will favor that side.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sutherland View Post
    I'm wondering about the weight distribution with the motor on the right side I'm thinking it will favor that side.
    Not at all. The motor is not a significant weight on this machine. The yoke, drum housing and base are cast iron and very heavy. I am trying to remember as I had mine on and off of the stand and the drawer unit I built a couple of times. Seems to me that the weight distribution is about dead center. Nearly everything you see that isn't obviously sheet metal and motor is cast iron (above and below the table). The cast iron base extends beyond the table to the left and includes the table leveling mechanism:

Supermax 19-38 (14).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

ahhh..thanks for that info. One more question, what is the height from the cabinet top to the top of the conveyor pad? Since this sander will sit along the wall shared by a couple of MFT tables, cabinet and Vika table I hope to get lucky and be able to span a board that needs to be trimmed across my Kapex and along the Supermax conveyor. Kind of like a super expensive outfield table for the Kapex. I am planning on mounting the Supermax on a "Lazy Susan" so the 40" won't be protruding too far into the small aisle I have left when my car is parked in the garage. I have enough room length wise if I mount in on the Vika table and being able to rotate it when I need to use it may solve my space dilema.

I've been considering purchasing this sander for awhile, and am about ready to pull the trigger. My question is this: Do any of you have the combo unit, and if so how do you like it?
    Corollary question: Those of you who have the drum sander unit, do you wish you had purchased the combo unit?

thanks.

I have the drum sander and so far I'm really loving it. It makes things so precise. Just finished some cabinet face frames and everything ended up perfect. Glad I purchased it and as others have said don't know how I managed before I had it.

Yes, I do have the combo unit. Love it. I have both the flatter head and the drum. I use the flatter head for sanding profiles and veneered plywood when there is risk of sanding through. The variable drum speed for slowing down the flatter is nice. With the drum, you just run it full speed, which in that configuration operatess identical to the regular unit. It's not very difficult to change between flatter and drum. you just remove the 2 bolts on each end. Probably takes 10 minutes or so. As a side note, if you get the DRO from Supermax, it is now a Wixey (used to be some other brand, I forget which...). They charge $100 for it, but it comes with very nice heavy brackets specifically for this machine, so no fabrication or drilling/tapping required.

PS. The combo unit's drum motor is obviously a different motor (3ph VFD) due to variable drum speed. If somebody posts the specs for the regular unit, you can compare. If I recall correctly, this one has a better insulation rating.
    specs:
    HP 1 3/4
    KW 1.3
    Volt 230
    Pole 4
    Hz 60
    RPM 1720
    Amp 4.2
    Heat 60C
    Phase 3
    Class E
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 05-26-2015 at 12:36 PM.