Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Door Installation, fair price?

Wood Door Installation, fair price?

Hi,

A carpenter just gave me an estimate of $450 to install a wood exterior entry door. Does this sound fair?

The job would entail removing int and ext trim, taking off old door installing new Simpson pre-hung Douglas Fir door (pre-hung), putting back int and ext trim and installing door latch set (holes for latch pre-drilled). He said it would take himself about 6 hours to do.

I have no experience doing this and don't want to learn the hard way on a $$ door. I'm a believer in having a pro doing something I don't want to mess up costing me more money. I learned this by costing myself lots of $$.

I appreciate any input! please consider I live on Long Island, New York where a $100,000 house cost $429,000.

Thanks!

Pete

It sounds a little high, but not over the top. Most good carpenters are so busy I surprised you got an estimate and the bad ones you don't want near the door anyway.
    You answered the question youself with the comment about Long Island's economy.

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Wolf; 08-06-2005 at 9:26 AM.

I can see both the "good news" and "bad news" side of this:

It's not so much that the price is high as that you're paying the $75/hour guy to do six hours of work...and only 1/3 of that job (actually hanging the new door) takes a $75/hour guy to do it. In theory, you should be able to do the easy bits yourself, without taking a chance on buggering up your expensive new door. That's the good news.

The bad news is, it's an exterior door. So if you do the removal and the guy calls to say he won't be out until Thursday, you're kinda screwed. And if you're only hiring him for 1-2 hours, you're going to have to adapt to his schedule (assuming you can get somebody halfway competent to sign up to do it that way).

I realize this doesn't really help, but it may make writing that check a bit less painful.

Thanks Richard and Lee,

I think it's a case of the guy not needing my business but If I accept a price that He know's is gonna be worth his while then he will be happy to do it.

I dont mind paying a honest craftsman a generous amount or tip well on a fair price, I just get weak in the knees when those $20 bills start slipping from my fingers.

Richard, after seeing your work on that house on the North Fork I wouldn't blink at a price like I got.

Lee, I think I'll take care of the trim and handle part of it, good idea.

Thanks for your advice!

Have a great weekend.

Given that overhead (eg: office lease, liability insurance, gas, etc) is higher in NY than here in CT, $75 an hour isn't really unfair. I bill labor around $60 an hour. 6 hours seems a tad bit long for a door install, but having not seen the situation first hand it's really not fair to say.
    Your best bet, if you can, is use a carpenter that comes via a referral. At least you're more likely to know about the quality of his/her work.

Todd,

Hi, I was referred to the guy by the lumberyard where I bought the door...

Also, I should say he might just get the job because he called back!

Pete

The job is not that involved.

If it was just a door and thus needed to be sized (edge planed to fit) maybe it might require special knowledge.

Being that it's pre-hung, all you should need is a carpenters square, a level, hammer and nails or screwgun and a couple packs of shims.

When I used to do carpentry, I charged $125/pre-hung door with a $250 minimum.

The job shouldn't take more than 2 hours, including touch up.

Scott is right,

sort of.

Doesn't matter if the door takes 2 hours or 4 or 6.

The whole day is shot for that carpenter.

Chances are there is not another door to install

down the street. Long Island traffic, it takes

2 hours to drive to the lumber yard.

This price is not out of line.

Also if the lumber yard recommended him,

you are going to get the same deal from any

other carpenter in your neighborhood.

On the other hand, the install is easy as heck

and is not beyond the means of just about anyone

who reads this forum. My opinion.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

One other thing,

You must finish a door on all 6 sides,

with the paint or stain of your choice.

In order to get the finish perfect,

it is easier to separate the door from the frame

and finish it flat on saw horses.

Just another thing to consider,

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Per,

Thanks for your input. I did just what you said when I painted it out of the frame. 1 coat of oil based primer followed by 2 coats of low gloss with sanding in between.

The more I read the posts I think I'm gonna do it myself.

Thanks,

Pete

Per, I forgot to say I painted all sides except the bottom which had a rubber weatherstrip glued and nailed to it with some kind of caulk.

Pete

It sounds a little high to me, and I'm in Los Angeles. Don't you think you can remove and replace the trim yourself? Then pay him an hourly wage to remove the old door and install the new one and you do the trim yourself. I don't agree that if it takes him a couple of hours the whole day is shot for him. If he's willing to do a relatively small job like this, then he can line up a couple of small jobs for a day or take the rest of the day off or take the time to go home and do his paperwork. However, I would not mind paying a seemingly exhorbitant hourly rate for hanging a door properly. There is little carpentry that is more satisfying than a door that is hung correctly so that it stays open or shut where you put it. That does take time to accomplish and, if it is done right, you only have to have it done once every couple of decades.

Ellen,

A tax paying, insurance carrying, business expense,

legitimate professional carpenter is not going to come

to your house and work for wages. You may find

a buddy down at the tavern who has hung a few doors

in his time by crikkey, who might work for a couple, you

know just to help you out. But I doubt it.

My New Jersey workmans comp for two employees

for a year should lighten third world debt.

As I said before Pete should be able to handle this no problem.

Per
    T.E. Lawrence

Are you kidding?

I with Per on this one. No way will you find a real finish carpenter to show up for the one hour of hard work and let you do all the perp, finish and clean up. Two choices, pay the tab or do it yourself, sure would be a rewarding project to save $450 for half a days work.

Richard