Thread: Here's why I should always keep my chainsaw chains sharp

Here's why I should always keep my chainsaw chains sharp

My sister send this photo of an olive tree stump to be ground up later today. She was good enough to get two trunk pieces for me, a little over a foot each dimension. I would consider driving an hour if my chains were sharp and ready to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Oh No! Where did all the wood get hauled off to and do you have any change of recovering any? Don't feel bad, I'm well trained Sawyer, 4 Stihl chainsaws out in the shop including 2 - 24" 460's
    and although most my chains are sharp, saws need servicing. When ya come home beat tired from cutting all day, cleaning air filters and bars, sharpening is not a priority, a hot shower is. I'm getting old.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper

In that situation, I'd probably buy a new chain on the way there, assuming of course, there's a store on the way.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Sharpening is pretty simple, Just push the round file through. Took a bit to get handy with it, but the guys who really know how to do it don't laugh at me any more. Same number of strokes per tooth. Maybe I find it simple because it ties in with my platform sharpening skills...

robo hippy

That's one of the many reasons I always have a spare chain on hand. But then again, if the saw is basically clean and otherwise ready to go, it only takes me 10 minutes to sharpen.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I was a logger in the Mt. Hood forrest and always kept my file in my back pocket. I could file my chain in two minutes. Never let a dull chain get you down!!!
    Do or do not, there is no try.

I have at least one extra chain sharp and ready to go for all of my saws...well, except for the POS Poulan saw, but I never use that one anyway.

As stated by a couple of other members, it only takes a few minutes to resharpen a chain.
    Len