Thread: Fun With Pine – Dogs Stairs

Blog Entries

Fun With Pine – Dogs Stairs

Apparently I’m not the only one in our family who has reached the age where I have to get up multiple times per night; so does our 11-year-old Yorkshire Terrier, Mia.

Yes, I know it’s ridiculous that she sleeps on the bed with my wife and I –but that is clearly not up to me. If God forbid there was a fire in the night, the LOML would trample me to rescue the dog . At least I know where I standin the food chain
    J.

Our bed is fairly high off the ground and she can’t jump up that high anymore. To prevent having to reach down and pick her up multiple times per night, initially I built a simple pine ramp from the floor to the bed. Apparently the boss thought that was far too dangerous “what if she can’t see the edge of the ramp and walks off in edge in the night?”.
    “Really honey, she’s a dog – I think she’ll figure the ramp out pretty quick”.Apparently that was a “cruel and reckless” thing to say.

Ultimately we agreed stairs were the best option; “I don’t think she knows what a ramp is, but we knows she is familiar with going up and down stairs”.

I built the stairs with some White Pine from a local BORG– it was really fun to work with hand tools. Cutting the multiple risers for each of the stairs prompted me to make a simple little adjustable miter box/big bench hook so I didn’t have to independently measure same size pieces (if I get a chance I’ll post a couple pictures of that). All the joinery is half lap and/or glued and screwed. It was fast and easy to build and the pine was really fun to work with.
    2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg5.5.jpg

The boss decided bare wood was far too slick and dangerous for the dainty little dog so as you can see I stabled on some carpet. At least for these pictures, little Princess was willing to go up and down the stairs for her “photo op”; so far in the middle of the night the results have been iffy. As long as Mom is willing to reach over and pick her up, I don’t think she’s going to use the stairs routinely.

Somehow this sounds very familiar…

6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

All the best, Mike
    Last edited by Mike Allen1010; 04-09-2015 at 8:22 PM.

Changes the meaning of the Hans Christian Anderson story: The Princess and the Pee.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I know it’s ridiculous that she sleeps on the bed with my wife and I
    Our cats have always slept in our bed.

That looks like some serious jumping to get on that bed.

Would a low railing help the dog?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I suggest trying multiple carpet patterns and textures. Perhaps the current carpet is too rough on her toesies!

I really like projects like this, sometimes quick and functional can get finished in a way that fancy never quite gets there.

The raw product (ie pre-carpet) reminds me of a Sol LeWitt sculpture in a really fun way.
    http://cognitive-geometrics.com/post...conceptual-art

My little dog sleeps with me every night. Of course,we keep our pets flea free and clean. The dogs even get their teeth brushed.
    Last edited by george wilson; 04-10-2015 at 10:50 AM.

Oh well, I bet she would love an elevator.!

Our Springer Otis has long since passed away, but he not only slept on our bed but made sure he was always between the wife and I. Yes, he was spoiled rotten and it was by both of us.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH