Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shop built 12" jointer thoughts

I currently have this jointer by Matthias over half way done. It was becoming close to completion, but I couldn't get flat tables out of the birch plywood. I even tried making a miniature torsion box but it still didn't come out flat enough for jointer beds. It's been a fun project, but it's time to move on as I just bought a new 8" Grizzly. I am however considering building his bandsaw next.

If anyone needs the Delta planer motor and cutterhead, let me know.

Oh man, this is really sobering. It looks so easy on the videos....
    Sorry it didn't go well.
    Jim

Brilliant! Should I go with the logo or should I come up with something original?
    Man, I like the way that looks.
    Last edited by Jim C Martin; 04-12-2015 at 10:50 AM.

I see this thread is a bit old but I thought I would post this source for anyone looking this over. Was this mentioned?
    http://woodgears.ca/
    This site has a number of jointer builds.
    Did anyone try steel cross braces to try to keep the plywood level?

I'll bet that the granite that was "bent" was not 3cm. That thickness is the only size I ever suggested as countertop material for both structural rigidity and durability. There are some fabricators selling the thinner stuff to meet a price point. It would never be in my home.
    Just my thoughts.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    I see this thread is a bit old but I thought I would post this source for anyone looking this over. Was this mentioned?
    http://woodgears.ca/
    This site has a number of jointer builds.
    Did anyone try steel cross braces to try to keep the plywood level?
    I believe this is the exact site they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Woloshyn View Post
    I currently have this jointer by Matthias over half way done. It was becoming close to completion, but I couldn't get flat tables out of the birch plywood. I even tried making a miniature torsion box but it still didn't come out flat enough for jointer beds. It's been a fun project, but it's time to move on as I just bought a new 8" Grizzly. I am however considering building his bandsaw next.

If anyone needs the Delta planer motor and cutterhead, let me know.
    Regarding the tables what about using just good old maple lumber, maybe quarter sawn, that way it could be flattened with hand planes and reflattened as necessary.

Just spit balling.

I too was intrigued by that jointer build, other than the noise it would be perfect for a small apartment workshop. But hand planes take up far less room and are down right stealthy compared to a powered joiner.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 06-13-2015 at 1:39 PM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Don't forget,you will have to bevel the ends of the granite underneath them,to clear the cutter head. That could probably be done with an angle grinder.

Those machines sold with granite tables were probably ground to flatter specs than counter top granite. They don't use granite surface plates for counter top stuff!

I'd love to see someone take this to completion You can buy precision granite, as anyone who's worked in a machine shop can tell you. I have no idea how much two slabs would be for a 12" jointer. http://www.precisiongraniteusa.com/Products.aspx for example.

Thanks for the link, it will be fun to watch that one come to completion. I like the way an induction motor was used and it still fit within the same cavity.

Looks like he sources a planer head from eBay and got a matching much larger pulley for his induction motor.

I'd still use real (not plywood) pillow blocks if I was going to do this. I think it would result in not only a safer result, but much simpler, too.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 07-05-2015 at 9:55 AM.

I keep thinking about doing this as well.
    My thoughts are to buy the bearing mounts from a 12" grizzly, which cost about $20, and have some side panels machined from steel to hold the bearing mounts.

For the tables, I'm thinking baltic birch torsion boxes, with 12 gauge stainless sheets on top, and a thinner gauge on the bottom. Attach the stainless with epoxy and screws. I'm thinking drill and countersink the stainless, and then epoxy it on in my vacuum press with no screws. Once the epoxy sets, then add the screws. This should help to prevent the screws from creating high and low spots.
    The table on my vacuum press is a torsion box that's been cnc machined flat, so it's a pretty flat surface. I can also cnc the jointer tables flat before adhering the stainless.

Or, I could just go back to my original plan, and buy a G490 with a shelix head. But for less money, a 12" shelix head jointer sure is tempting.
    Gerry

JointCAM

12. Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Thanks for the link, it will be fun to watch that one come to completion. I like the way an induction motor was used and it still fit within the same cavity.

Looks like he sources a planer head from eBay and got a matching much larger pulley for his induction motor.

I'd still use real (not plywood) pillow blocks if I was going to do this. I think it would result in not only a safer result, but much simpler, too.
    The motor wouldn't fit in the cavity with the stock plans. This one is about 3.5 inches taller and an inch wider. The cutterhead pulley is from an alternator and the motor pulley is from a power steering pump.

13. Pictures:
    http://imgur.com/a/FXLVz

Walk Around video:

14. Cutting Demo: