Thread: Model electric motor

Model electric motor

I've always been fascinated with early electric motors and decided to make something for fun. Probably doesn't fit in this forum except to say that most of metal work was definitely done "neanderthalish" (i.e. hacksaw, file and elbow grease) though I did have use of my drill press.

Mostly made from some salvaged brass (the brass ring was cut from a rough in valve I replaced in our shower), and mild steel that I flame blued.
    The base is made of Chechem (Black Poisonwood).

The turret looking part acts as a cam that closes the points at the proper time to energize/de-energize the electro magnets as each of the bolt heads on the brass ring approaches.
    The points swing on an arm held in place by the brass thumb screw to adjust timing. The brass screw on the side adjusts point closure duration.

It actually does run.

It does absolutely no useful work, and has no useful purpose other than it was fun to build and I like watching it spin. I probably like it for the same reason I like to try and make tools, i.e. I like things made of brass, steel, and wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a nice job on the motor. What voltage does it run at? And do you have to give it a spin to get it going? If not, will it always run in the same direction?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I love seeing miniatures and I too am fascinated with old electric motors. I'm amazed that it actually runs. Terrific work, Jeff!
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    Great stuff.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'll bet you could sell that design in kit form.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    That's a nice job on the motor. What voltage does it run at? And do you have to give it a spin to get it going? If not, will it always run in the same direction?

Mike
    Mike, It will run pretty well on ~3-5V. If it happens to be in a position with the points closed, it will start on its own, but otherwise needs a little kick to get it going. The direction is dictated by the position of the swing arm that mounts the points. At the point the contacts close it will go the direction that has the stud closest to the electro magnet pole faces.

It's a horribly inefficient way to make a motor. It's really kind of fun to see the approach that some inventors used with this new fangled electro-magnatism thingy to do work. I'm sure some were adept at designing steam engines, and used similar ideas by replacing valves with cam operated contacts.
    Last edited by Jeff Wittrock; 04-10-2015 at 7:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    That's very cool. What a fun little project.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

http://www.sparkmuseum.com/MOTORS.HTM

To me, these are more than motors. It seems the builder was really interested in the artistry of what they were making. I'm sure some of that was pragmatic. It is easier to interest someone in you idea if it is pretty.

Jeff,I urge you to get yourself a lathe. You have nice bench work skills,and with a lathe,you could do some real great stuff!! After you get the lathe,if at all possible,also get a small milling machine(something bigger than an old Atlas,though!) At least you could get a milling attachment fior the lathe. I made some of the projects I've posted here with just a lathe and a milling attachment,and a lot of filing.

Thanks George,

I have always thought I would like to have a metal lathe. In the end, it always come down to my being able to justify the cost for something I'm afraid will always have to remain just a hobby for me. But, there are more expensive hobbies I could have, and certainly more harmful addictions than wood and steel and brass, so maybe the investment wouldn't be so bad .

Jeff, were you working from plans?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    Jeff, were you working from plans?
    No plans Jim. I just kind of cobbled things together as I went.
    I knew I wanted something to spin and that I wanted it to have some brass and some blued steel in it, and a wooden base.

If you look at this page http://www.sparkmuseum.com/MOTORS.HTM and scroll down to "Simple Armature Motors" you will see the motors that got me interested. I knew I couldn't match the beauty of some of these, but figured as a first attempt, I could make something that would at least run and be enjoyable to work on.

You did an excellent job on that little motor. Thank you for explaining the mechanism. I wasn't sure whether you were using the contactor as a brush or not, even though it was only on one side.

All that with no lathe. Very impressive. Do you have any videos of it running?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Martell View Post
    You did an excellent job on that little motor. Thank you for explaining the mechanism. I wasn't sure whether you were using the contactor as a brush or not, even though it was only on one side.
    All that with no lathe. Very impressive. Do you have any videos of it running?

Pretty poor quality but shows it spins . Running on ~5V, 300mA.