Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upgrading router bits to what brand??

upgrading router bits to what brand??

I have been using MLCS router bits for quite some time with good success. I have come to a point that I have established a good idea of what bits that I use the most and need to start replacing them. Thinking about upgrading but not sure as to what brand. I am a weekend warrior, so a small step up in quality would be my goal. No need to empty the bank if I don't have to, but I'm open to the idea if there is no middle ground.

thanks,
    Chad

I would buy Whiteside. They are American made router bits with generous amounts of carbide and they are consistently rated the best overall and the best value by Fine Woodworking. I also noticed that at least on Amazon the bits are cheaper than CMT and Freud.

Case in point:

Whiteside 1/2" Shank, 1/4" Roundover Bit - $20.30
    CMT 1/2" Shank, 1/4" Roundover Bit - $28.49
    Freud 1/2" Shank, 1/4" Roundover Bit - $29.17

Whiteside 1/2" Shank, 3/8" Roundover Bit - $22.46
    CMT 1/2" Shank, 3/8" Roundover Bit - $27.77
    Freud 1/2" Shank, 3/8" Roundover Bit - $29.99

I used to buy (like 20 years ago) Bosch but since Whiteside started winning the Fine Woodworking tests I have been buying Whiteside. Great bits, zero complaints.

Blog Entries
    Another long time Whiteside fan. Their resharpening costs for their own bits are also very reasonable. I collect a half dozen or so that need sharpening and then use a small flat rate USPS box to mail them for a few bucks. I get back a box of "new" bits for a very good price.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-11-2015 at 12:33 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I would go Whiteside. They have an outstanding reputation, made in the USA. Every Whiteside bit I have has been excellent and a bit cheaper than the premium brands. You will get a ton of opinions here but I use them and have never been disappointed.

Chuck

I have mostly Whiteside and they are excellent. Lately I've been accumulating some very nice bits from Infinity......I would say they are at least comparable to Whiteside.

Whiteside, Southeast Tool & Eagle America.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I built a big hickory kitchen using a Whiteside rail/stile bit. I was severely impressed. The last cut was as good as the first.
    I've also used Amana they are pretty decent.

I would stay away from Freud unless you're in a pinch and need one like now.

Blog Entries
    I've had good luck with Freud.

PHM

1. Whiteside,
    2. Amana
    3. Freud
    4. Cheap is just making one small item/cut

Another vote for Whiteside.

Southeast Tool would be my vote. I discovered them a couple years back when I bought a CNC router. They are very nice bits for the price.

Robert

Another fan of Whiteside. Great bits. And made in the USA (NC).

http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/

Red
    RED

Whiteside, Infinity, Eagle America (made by Whiteside)....all top shelf premium cutters. Infinity and WS both offer basic sets for ~ $100. Freud and CMT also have some high quality bits. Price Cutter and Katana are both a nice step up from the regular MLCS if you're not ready to go top shelf.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I've had good luck with Eagle America's own bits (not the ones they import, the ones they make here in the US). Also have some Whiteside bits that have been good too.