Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a large lathe into the shop

Blog Entries

Getting a large lathe into the shop

One of the reasons I have not been considering a larger heavier lathe has to do with getting it into my shop. I bought a Laguna 14SUV Bandsaw a year or two ago. I had two other guys helping me move it. One was a power weight lifter. The machine got damaged somehow, maybe from leaning it too far, not sure. It did not get dropped or even bounced hard. My shop is in a basement that is under ground on three sides. To get anything down there the object has to go down around 15 steps, or around the house on some relatively rough hilly ground. Smaller objects can be moved with my small 30hp tractor in the loader. But the tractor's rear end will come off the ground if I try to lift more than a few hundred pounds with it, even if the object fits in the 5' bucket.

I have no idea how I would get a 500lb or more lathe into my shop. This is one of the reasons I have been thinking about buying a 300lb Oneway 1224. The info, I have says a Jet 1642EVS weighs 455lbs. Even broken down into pieces I'm not sure how I would get an object that big and heavy down into my shop. I was looking at Nova lathes vs the jets because the guy at Woodcraft was telling me it would break down into movable pieces and the box looked like it would fit in my loader.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 04-11-2015 at 4:00 PM.

As far as your Laguna Bandsaw getting damaged, mine came on a pallet, bolted only to the pallet, and no outside protection. The shipping company banded it into the truck with a strap which went around the blade guide post. It was bent way out of whack, and the 2 of the 4 bolts that held it to the pallet were gone, one was barely in, and the other was tight. They told me they had previous similar problems, but since I didn't save the packaging or take pictures, tough luck. If your post was out of line, that is why unless they learned, and put it in a box crate rather than just a pallet.

Now, for getting your lathe in the basement, If the steps are a straight down shot, not much of a problem with a good hand truck, and some friends. They do come apart, and a PM or Robust can be easily taken apart, headstock, lathe bed and legs. The headstock is the most difficult to stabilize to get down steps because it isn't balanced well. The lathe bed on the PM has most of its weight. I did see a really cool lift truck for moving wood stoves into houses, battery powered, and lifts on the back for it going up and down stairs on small tracks on the back of it so you don't have to lift.

robo hippy

If you are interested in a Jet 1642, the lathe weighs 410lbs. Broken down, head stock off, legs removed, two people can easily carry the individual parts down steps or across a hilly yard. I recently sold my 1642 and tore it down and moved it myself. Reed is correct talking about the headstock, there is no easy way to carry it.

I know what your talking about moving large pieces with a small tractor and loader. I replaced my 1642 with a Laguna 2436. This lathe weighs in at 770lbs. I tried to lift the lathe bed and headstock out of my truck and could feel it starting to tip, so my neighbor and I wrestled the headstock off and was then able to move the bed.
    Good luck!

The Jet 1642 also comes in several pieces that need assembly. Each leg, the tail stock, banjo can easily be carried by a reasonably string person. The headstock weighs about 90 lbs and CAN be carried by one person, especially if they don't have to bend over to get it. just hold it tight to the chest with one arm under the motor and the other under the spindle with the faceplate on. The powermatic headstock is much heavier with both a bigger casting and motor.

The biggest, heaviest piece is the bed, but unless you drop it, nothing to break as it is just a single casting. Two people could carry it and get it to the bottom of the stairs.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

As the others have said, the 3520 can be taken into a basement shop 1 piece at a time. That's how I did it except for the bed that I wisely waited for Jr. to get home. The headstock is kind of heavy but it's awkward to get a good secure grip on by yourself. 2 people, no problem. Don't know your exact lay-out but it's definitely doable as many people have done it before.

My shop is also in my basement. Ive never had an issue getting tools in and out. I take everything down in pieces with the help of a buddy and assemble on site. If it has to come back out, I do it the same way. When my G0766 gets here, I will take every piece down separate and put it together in the shop.

Ahhhh the trials and tribulations of having shop in a basement, not to mention the dust shavings and clutter and who knows what all from hauling logs, bowl blanks, & lumber etc etc etc.
    initially thought that was the place to have mine but after building a separate shop area in the basement thinking i was going to contain the dust and all the shavings created from using a lathe i decided a wiser choice was to abandon my third stall in the garage and isolate that area by virtue of building an insulated area. I was so much happier and found there was far less detritus etc being tracked into my wifes beautiful house.
    Realizing of course not all have this luxury, but short of having a walk out basement and not having a garage that can be converted i would never put a wood shop in a basement. Just my experience and two cents worth. Not judging anyone just sharing my experiences and mistakes

My shop is in the basement... and so far I have managed to get a Jet 1642 ( and a lot of flat work equipment) and a Robust American Beauty there all by myself - with the exception that I had a couple of guys help me haul the Robust bed into the basement. Once I had the bed on sawhorses, I was on my own and never had any problems getting things together. Just for reference sake, I am about 5' 10" +/- and weigh around 160#... so I am not a big guy and have never been known for my brute strength! Quick wit.. you betcha, but not one who does a lot of lift and tote!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I got my Powermatic uncrated and moved sections about 75' over a rock walk and down 7 steps into my shop using a 2 wheel hand truck with one other for assistance. I later had to take it out of the shop, back up the 7 steps and pack in a POD for moving. The headstock is awkward to handle in moving and assembly, but it is can be done by 2 able body men. I would not let the problem of getting the machine into the shop be the final deciding point, but would select the lathe that will satisfy your needs. Most will break down to less than 200# sections for handling.

Having moved or helped on numerous heavy machines you might consider using your tractor. Make a slide of 1/2" plywood(cut the front corners back) and add a bridle for the tractor. Have a person on either side with ropes if you need them. My shop is 18" off the ground so I made a quick ramp of dimention stock. attacked a snatch block on the other side of the shop. Slided it right to where it went. It helps if you can cuss in Cajun.

Blog Entries
    I have moved entire houses full of furniture with no help but I am not as young as I was then and some of my parts tend to lock up if I push them like I use to. I bought the floor model bandsaw from Woodcraft which I don't think I would do again. Maybe I should have looked into breaking the bandsaws down even more before moving it. The ceiling going down into my basement is quite low at one point 6-7' for 2-3'. Which probably want be a problem with a lathe. I will do some measuring to determine how long an object I can get to make the turns at either end of the downstairs steps, probably the largest challenge. I have a straight shot in from the back yard. The problem is the house is on a steep hill with a 5' fence, for dogs, around the entire back yard. I have to carry objects through a small area with a steep grade to get them to the backyard gate. I did build a tractor gate in the fence but I just barely have enough room to drive through. It gets very tricky trying to drive a tractor with a heavy load sideways along a steep hill.

Nice Robert, I have a Cajun buddy who owes me for helping move tools & wood into his shop but he is 10+ years older than I am and diabetic. Maybe he can do the cursing though, had not thought of that.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 04-11-2015 at 11:36 PM.

A lathe would break down into smaller pieces than a bandsaw.I got my PM 3520 lathe into my basement with a little help....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I have a 1642 & I a mere woman have moved mine around by myself a couple times. The bed is the biggest issue..it's ungainly. I used a handcart & strapped it to it , and then had just agility issues. Had to take it slowly.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I will address the tractor end of this ,I do not know what your 3 point is rated for but if you put even 1/2 of the weight your 3 point is rated for on the 3 point you should be able to lift 500 lbs. I believe.They also they make wheel weights to be put on the rims and there is always fluid to be added to the rear tires.

Blog Entries
    I run a dog park with large grass fields. I took the agricultural tires off my tractor many years ago. I now have wide low tread tires to keep from tearing up the turf, use to mow with it. Now the tractor is mostly used to move wood chips (fertilizer/mulch/ground cover/paths) that are dumped regularly (by tree companies). I also move trees that fall. The Woods loader is a little much for a 30hp tractor. The bucket makes it front end heavy to start. I want add weight to the tractor's rear permanently as it is not needed to move light wood chips and it would tear up the turf where I use the chips. I push trees instead of picking them up.

I have had weights, fluid in the tires...in the past but they are counter productive now. I have a 3 point attachment on the rear (bucket) that I can add weight to. The problem isn't as much how much I can pick up but what happens when I add weight (front and back for balance), raise it off the ground, and try to drive the tractor along the slope of a steep hill. Anyone who has spent a few thousand hours on a tractor in hilly territory will tell you how easy it is to roll one.