Thread: Latest project

Latest project

I joined SMC a couple of years ago and immediately had some back problems. Last year I was able to get some repairs made and this year get back to work in the shop some. I finished the console project that I had started 2 years ago. I also made a step stool chair recently. I have been following along here but haven't had much to say. I hope now to participate more. I thought I should post some of my work, maybe as a qualifier so to speak, to show that I actually do some woodworking. This is my first time with the photo thing so here goes
    .image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    All comments and critiques are welcomed. I should say that a band saw and a cordless drill was used all joinery and finish is hand tool work.
    Thanks for viewing.
    Jim

Hi Jim,

I'm glad your back is feeling better, Back problems can really suck! (DAMHIK) I like your chair/stool. I'm thinking about making one for my ever shrinking wife . Care to show a little more of the detail on the side of the chool?

Tom.

Hi Tom
    I would be glad to share anything about the chair. Here is most of it. The legs are 1/4 sawn oak 1 5/8 wide by 3/4 plus. The rails are mortise and tenon (straight tenon angled mostise). The step is dadoed 1/4 into the legs and the rail is rabbet end for the step. There are also rails under the step. There is one screw into the step where you see the button (no glue) there is one angled screw in the middle of the front and rear of the step in an elongated hole. This hold true for the seat step also except no rabbet as the seat is over the rail. I would not use any flat sawn stuff for the legs at least not as light as 3/4. The legs are tenoned into the seat at the top. Where you see the walnut plugs there are thru tenons, I did not care for the look so I chisled the end down an eight or so and put the walnut plugs in. If you need something more let me know. Thanks for looking.
    jim