Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanks, Bought an "Old Green Tractor"

Thanks, Bought an "Old Green Tractor"

I listened well to the information you folks offered when discussing tractors.

We are selling a condo in the city where I have offered free handyman services to elderly people for a long time. A widow approached me asking if I wanted to buy her late husband's "old green tractor" or knew anyone who would. She said the neighbor claimed no one would offer he a penny over $500 for it. That was his firm offer. Her husband and I were friends so I gave her $500.01 sight unseen expecting to find an old riding mower. Here is what I picked up out of the barn today. Thanks Creekers, it has most the things you told me to look for in a tractor. Now if I only knew how to work it or what I have. Was it worth it?

IMG_1074.jpg IMG_1075.jpg IMG_1076.jpg IMG_1077.jpg

I asked to to wait until I had moved the tractor before telling the other person it sold. She was just happy to have a friend get her husband's tractor. Hope it's a keeper. Any information you offer will be appreciated. I think today was a good day to tractor shop. It's bigger than the riding lawn mower imagined in my head.

I think I would go back and give her another couple hundred. Or at last take her out for a real nice meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I think I would go back and give her another couple hundred. Or at last take her out for a real nice meal.
    She won't take a penny more. I offered much more. I take her to eat on a regular basis. She's a nice person.

That is the score of the year right there. Great tractor. Very similar to one of the ones we have at work, and that one is a great workhorse and the most fun to operate of all the ones we have.

THAT....was an excellent acquisition! And a steal. Really. Keep trying to give her more money as it's worth a lot, lot more than she asked you for it. If she will not take the money, just dole out some sweat equity from time to time to benefit her.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I listened well to the information you folks offered when discussing tractors.

We are selling a condo in the city where I have offered free handyman services to elderly people for a long time. A widow approached me asking if I wanted to buy her late husband's "old green tractor" or knew anyone who would. She said the neighbor claimed no one would offer he a penny over $500 for it. That was his firm offer. Her husband and I were friends so I gave her $500.01 sight unseen expecting to find an old riding mower. Here is what I picked up out of the barn today. Thanks Creekers, it has most the things you told me to look for in a tractor. Now if I only knew how to work it or what I have. Was it worth it?

IMG_1074.jpg IMG_1075.jpg IMG_1076.jpg IMG_1077.jpg

I asked to to wait until I had moved the tractor before telling the other person it sold. She was just happy to have a friend get her husband's tractor. Hope it's a keeper. Any information you offer will be appreciated. I think today was a good day to tractor shop. It's bigger than the riding lawn mower imagined in my head.
    You wouldn't be any more with that steal!!! Wow. Congratulations, and yes, take care of the widow...er..ah...you know what I meant.

Rich,it looks like you got a fantastic deal here,I'm happy for you,what goes around comes around,you enjoy that beast of a tractor.

That old green tractor is a lot newer than mine! I think it will be ideal for what you want one for. I can't read the model number. What are the numbers at the front of the yellow stripe? Keep that rollbar up on your hills, with the pins in!!!

It says 5520 if memory serves properly. The wife wouldn't let it come home and park it in the circle drive. Not sure of its age.
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 04-11-2015 at 8:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    That old green tractor is a lot newer than mine! I think it will be ideal for what you want one for. I can't read the model number. What are the numbers at the front of the yellow stripe? Keep that rollbar up on your hills, with the pins in!!!
    Looks like 5520 on pic #2. If so, probably worth $20,000 with the loader and blade. May be deal of the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Looks like 5520 on pic #2. If so, probably worth $20,000 with the loader and blade. May be deal of the forum!
    Didn't take pictures of the accessories, not sure what the all did. It's got a thing to spear hay, one that looks like forks on a forklift, a big thing to pull behind to cut grass, a plow looking thing, and one that tills or something. Can it run a post hole digger?
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 04-11-2015 at 8:40 PM.

Yeah, I was thinking around 20 too.

Well first up I'd trust that neighbor about as far as you can throw him!! That tractors worth north of 40x what he said it was worth so I'm thinking someone was looking to take advantage of someone there so on principal I'm glad someone other than that fellow got it!

Second, wow that's a heck of a deal!

The rough specs: http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...eere-5520.html

I'd still add a box blade

Heck, it's not even that old. I'd give you 15k for it right off, if I needed one. It's about the ideal size for a utility tractor to me. Here are the specs. That 31k price is just for the base 2wd model before the other stuff is added up. It's probably a 42k tractor at new price. Definitely the steal/deal of the century.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...eere-5520.html

Threads like this remind me to have a "list" of some of the major tools in my shop so that my "heirs" don't get taken. I also know that trying to settle an estate is not always easy, but do encourage giving some assistance to friends. All that said, you got a great loaded tractor there Get some lessons (find a mentor) on how to use and maintain it.