Thread: Wood shop changes I wished I made years ago.

Wood shop changes I wished I made years ago.

Title changed per recommendation from member Steve......

I'm 49 and just went through an expansion of my wood shop. My number one goal was to not take any short cuts, do it right this time.

My history is that I've always had a shop of sorts but never had the time, money, or space to really set up a quality shop. Don't get me wrong, I've always made my time, money and space work but there were always short cuts. (My first major build was a bedroom set built with very few tools, in a one car garage that the car stayed in every night, and the dining room was the "finish" room)

Now that I have come to the end of my shop expansion, I have become amazed at some of the simple things, that make working with wood, so much easier. So......I thought I would start this thread to explain, show, a few of my tricks. I'm hoping this catches on, and you feel compelled to add to the thread. So here goes.

A few things I wish I did earlier in my life (just a start, I could add many things)
    SCMS - added Kreg measuring kit....why did I wait so long
    Router Lift - made my own kit, changing bits is soooo much easier
    3 HP table saw - okay, this takes money, but, what really is huge is a good set of rails and fence. No longer need a tape measure for every cut.
    Jointer, Planer - actually took time to watch videos to learn the proper way to use these tools. Kind of like reading the manual, instructions, or directions, u get the point
    Lumber rack, sheet good storage - obviously could not have had this when I started but now with the space, it sure is nice
    Plumbing "hooks" - not sure of the correct name but these large "J" hooks keep pvc pipe up and out of the way.

I hope you feel compelled to add your "what was I waiting for" or, "it makes so much sense" to this thread. I am sure all of us could use the ideas.

Plumbing hooks

WP_20150410_19_39_06_Pro.jpg

Wood storage, plans found from the internet

WP_20150410_19_39_32_Pro.jpg

Panel glue up rack

WP_20150410_19_39_53_Pro.jpg

Inexpensive, form Harbor Freight, but a really great organizer
    WP_20150410_19_39_44_Pro.jpg

Assembly table, 4ft x 8ft, not quite finished
    WP_20150410_19_40_26_Pro.jpg

Bin Storage for not often used tools and supplies.
    WP_20150410_19_40_43_Pro.jpg
    Last edited by Scott Brandstetter; 04-13-2015 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Suggested name Change

Looks good! You're on your way. In a few hrs, you can clear out everything you've accumulated and feel even better (what happened w me)
    my tag is in workshop forum-6-7 weeks ago "renovation complete "
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Looking good. I always feel guilty - no time to organize, or "lets do it latter" kind of thinking. You are giving a good example - thank you.
    Ed.

How about "Workshop improvements" or "Shop changes you wish you had made sooner"?

+1 on the measuring setup for miter saw and table saw. That completely revolutionized my woodworking.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

The DeWalt Track saw I got on sale at Amazon has really helped my back. In keeping with that, I don't know why it took me two years to make a quickie cutting table that I throw over sawhorses....it works great, and stores with my plywood, and is just a simple 2x4 ladder frame type.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Great idea Steve, going to change the title now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Meliza View Post
    How about "Workshop improvements" or "Shop changes you wish you had made sooner"?

Hope you got some insulation in those walls. That is the main regret I had after I built my shop, and put 1/4" OSB on the walls (with screws). Then the walls got covered with storage racks, cabinets and DC piping. Had to remove all that to put insulation in the walls and paint the OSB.
    Good ole hindsight; best to have it before you leap.

I noticed you have a nice hose and reel for your air compressor. I have been wanting to do something like that for a while. Actually, I am considering plumbing compressed air all around my shop.

Art, I went with the hose reel when my shop was only in that room and it worked great. Not sure what I will do with the air now that I've expanded. I have a larger compressor and I think I'm going to hook that up and have a hose reel in each room. I seriously considered putting in drops but the hose reel is very convenient and for me, being a one man shop, having a hose pulled out is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I noticed you have a nice hose and reel for your air compressor. I have been wanting to do something like that for a while. Actually, I am considering plumbing compressed air all around my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I used this system -- bought it at Woodcraft during a sale. Very high quality. I've had one aluminum block installed for over a year, and have 3-4 more for additional runs once my shop layout "stabilizes". (I've been moving things for awhile.) My compressor is in my garage, and my shop is in the basement (with a big crawl space between them), so this was a great way to plumb without the expense (and permanent nature) of running copper everywhere.

http://www.rapidairproducts.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=37

I am in the same boat, I have too much work to stop & do stuff to make my shop more efficient. I like your roll of paper at the end. Does it have a blade at the end ?

I like that paper idea too. There is a tutorial on using MFTs where the author does all his assembly on MFTs but puts paper down to keep the glue off the table. Seems like a good idea. I would be more inclined to use it if the roll was right there on the table. Is the paper readily available?

Blog Entries
    Likewise- I am stealing the paper roll idea. It is cheap at Home Depot in the paint department and sometimes with the packing materials. Three rolls covered all my wood floors upstairs during a renovation, so it goes a long way.

That's exactly where I got the paper, Home Depot. Also picked up a small black gas pipe to hold the roll. I do use the paper a lot because it is right there. Before I had it on the wall and never seemed to grab it.