Thread: Battery Storage Organizer/Dispenser Unit (Video)

Battery Storage Organizer/Dispenser Unit (Video)

I DOCUMENTED THE BUILD ON MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL. PLEASE CLICK THE LINK BELOW!

https://youtu.be/QVikDfqXVUU

Storing batteries can be very dangerous, especially 9 volts. 9 volts are particularlly dangerous because they have both the + and - terminals right next to each other. This can cause these batteries to easily contact something conductive and heat up extremely fast. This extreme heat has been known to cause a fire and do some serious damage. I built the storage unit to not only help in the safety factor, but also to make it easier to know your battery inventory and ease of finding the right battery I need.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-12-2015 at 8:45 AM. Reason: Removed promotional links

That's a really clever and useful project for any home. I may need to "steal" that idea... LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's a really clever and useful project for any home. I may need to "steal" that idea... LOL
    Have at it Jim! Thanks for commenting.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-12-2015 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Removed promotional comment

Blog Entries
    Nice project, but you might want to reconsider your design. Gluing your dividers to the back may result in problems down the road. Seasonal moisture changes will cause wood to expand and contract across the grain. The back panel will want to change dimensions, but if it cannot move, it may crack and or warp. It would have been better design to attach the dividers to the top and bottom frame and let the back panel float. It holds a lot of batteries, more than I would use in a year or more.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thank you for your comment. Seasonal movement was taken into account for solid wood construction with elongated screws and glue in strategic areas.

The design can be used for any sheet good as well.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...ery-dispenser/
    I've made about a dozen of these. Much smaller than the OP's, but haven't seen any issues with wood movement. Maybe his modification with respect to size would require more consideration for movement. The dispenser idea is great as we probably all have batteries in drawers or somewhere less easily visible. It's a great way to know when you're getting low.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Glass View Post
    Thank you for your comment. Seasonal movement was taken into account for solid wood construction with elongated screws and glue in strategic areas.
    Well, I guess I was confused by the video where you were applying the glue to the back of each divider that was placed perpendicular to the grain of the back panel.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Great project! If only more people new the end result of poor battery storage and the damage it can potentially cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    It holds a lot of batteries, more than I would use in a year or more.
    I like this project (didn't watch the video). With all the electronic gizmos in operation in my house with two boys we go through that many batteries in about 20 minutes. Replacing batteries in all the sensors and lights on my bike alone takes 4 of the CR2032 watch batteries, 3 AA and 4 AAA and we store all our batteries in a bowl in a closet. Yeah - i'm making this one!
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    +1 for what Jim said especially the last sentance.

"The best things in life are not things."

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    +1 for what Jim said especially the last sentance.
    +2! I'm thinking of making one, too, but more compact. We don't use as many batteries as the OP, but they're usually strewn throughout multiple drawers. Drives me nuts...

12. How do you load the batteries ?
    It would seem obvious to drop them from the top, but do they fall and neatly align like this ? None tumble and settle at an angle ? Or do you take the organizer of the wall and roll each battery ? When i did some mock up, batteries do not align flat consistently and it require some efforts to straighten those. Any pearls ?
    Is the battery charger simply stored there or is it plugged in teh organizer ?
    Thanks