Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodworking Statistics

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Good point Dan, however it does fit my observations about woodworkers I know, except of course for the retired ones, who had salaries in that range.
    I fit that demographic, at least as far as the yearly spending goes... but I do feel that the people who fill out the forms are likely not your average woodworker. How many people do we see here (and on other forums) that are scrimping/scrounging for a few hundred dollars to get a used lathe? "I will have to wait until my next paycheck to get that $80 sharpening stone." These are obviously not the people filling out the survey.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

When I lived in Seattle (briefly) the busiest part of the port was constantly loading logs onto container ships.
    I suppose if you never get further afield than SeaTac or I-90, you wouldn't see clear cuts.

I remember genuine surprise in finding out that the little wooded islands were prized, and replanted
    for their easy access and productivity. When I think of lumber, I think of the falling steps.

Getting it to market is half the cost. That's easier with a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I fit that demographic, at least as far as the yearly spending goes... but I do feel that the people who fill out the forms are likely not your average woodworker. How many people do we see here (and on other forums) that are scrimping/scrounging for a few hundred dollars to get a used lathe? "I will have to wait until my next paycheck to get that $80 sharpening stone." These are obviously not the people filling out the survey.
    Agreed Dan, they're probably not the people I see at seminars either, as they may not be willing to pay for the seminar.

I do feel however that the projection that woodworking as a hobby is declining is correct.

There are still people doing woodworking as a cost cutting measure ( I can't afford to pay someone to replace that piece of trim so I'll do it myself).

Regards, Rod.

As a general principle, any survey which is not conducted on a random selection of those being surveyed is utterly worthless in any kind of scientific sense. The only way the survey would come anywhere close to being valid is if the participants were selected at random from the subscription list and then interviewed individually. There is also the concept of the statistically valid sample of the total population, which is typically about 1000. If the survey was conducted in any other way than this, then the information is of no value. It might just prove that wealthy woodworkers are more likely to send in a survey than poor ones.

Also remember that those same stats are probably used to woo advertisers. It's like PGA golf, not that many viewers, but most have financial wherewithal to buy a Buick or Caddy.
    Just my 2 cents worth (and closer to amount I have to spend than 8 grand)!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    ... Fine Woodworking says the average woodworker that reads their magazine makes about $122,000 annually and spends $8800 on the hobby each year...
    The income number is useless. Is that the woodworker's income or total household income? Even the statement "the average woodworker that reads the magazine" can be taken in several ways. Are they defining their "average woodworker" as the same thing as their "average reader"?

Dunno what to make of it, Rich. I don't read FW so I can't see if you chopped off some info when you posted this. But I doubt it. It seems to me that the "study" is just fluff for the advertisers.

Makes me think of Lake Wobegon where the kids are all above average.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    It might just prove that wealthy woodworkers are more likely to send in a survey than poor ones.
    It is exactly the opposite! Most woodworkers are actually billionaires, but their time is too valuable to do surveys. (or participate here) It is only the poor ones that have responded.
    I read this somewhere, I can't remember exactly.