Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it possible to get the internet on my computer at home without a subscription

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I used to be a big fan of AT&T (Paradyne) modems, particularly those with optically coupled line interfaces (OCLI). They were incredibly bullet proof.
    I was an engineering manager at ATT Paradyne when we developed that optical interface. Unfortunately, it was more expensive than the transformer coupled interface so it never went anywhere. One of the analog engineers was the champion of that design but I don't remember his name. That was a long time ago.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Just a nit pick. A baud is not the same as bits per second. A baud is a symbol and in higher speed modems carries many bits. Additionally, the baud rate of a modern telephone line modem is equal to the bandwidth required on the line (for QAM). In the analog domain, about the maximum bandwidth is from maybe 300 Hz to 3400Hz - and usually it's less. So the maximum baud rate on a telephone line is generally less than 3000 baud.

I don't remember all the baud rates of higher speed modems, but many middle speed modems had a baud rate of 2400 baud. So for a modem that ran 4800 bits per second, each baud carried two bits. For a 9600 bits per second, each baud carried four bits. Very low speed modems, such as 300 bps, carried one bit per baud and that's where it started with people misusing the term "baud".
    True enough, and as you can see from my post, even I still misuse it. The old modems were 56kbps, not 56kbaud... and truthfully, they were limited to 48kbps due to the phone line limitations (for those that might still have a box, they would put a little asterisk next to the 56k title and explain in really small print elsewhere on the box).
    Last edited by Dan Hintz; 04-15-2015 at 6:32 AM. Reason: Fat fingered and wrote 65k, not 56k
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

38.8 was always my most reliable connection speed.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    True enough, and as you can see from my post, even I still misuse it. The old modems were 65kbps, not 56kbaud... and truthfully, they were limited to 48kbps due to the phone line limitations (for those that might still have a box, they would put a little asterisk next to the 56k title and explain in really small print elsewhere on the box).
    In the US, that was due to the power limits on the line (your signal had to be at -12dBm or less, if I recall properly). I used to get 52Kbps on my modem at home - but never 56kbps.

Europe did not have as stringent power limits and the modems worked at 56kbps there.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.