Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Burning out? Dust Collector

Motor Burning out? Dust Collector

I have a Delta dust collector with a 1.5 HP motor. I noticed this morning that the morning is taking 2 to 3 times longer to get up to speed. Is the motor burning out? I have been meaning to wire it for 220 but haven't got it done.

Advise?
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

Do you have a manual? If so, look at the schematics to see if it has a start capacitor. Typically they are mounted on the side of the motor. If it has a capacitor, remove power (disconnect it) and remove the cover to see if visually it appears swollen, distorted or leaking dialectric. This would be my first choice to check.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Check the plug. After the DC has been running for a couple of minutes, feel the temperature of the plug. If it is noticeably warm, you likely have a bad connection there.

I have replaced the original plug with a higher quality end. I will double check the connections.
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

It is also tripping the circuit breaker about 20% of the time?
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Gazda View Post
    It is also tripping the circuit breaker about 20% of the time?
    One possible explanation for that is that for some reason the voltage reaching the motor is lower than usual, so the motor draws more current to reach its rated power. The higher current then trips the breaker. So I'd be looking for bad connections -- in the plug, in the outlet, or elsewhere. If you can get a voltmeter on the motor while it is running, that would confirm or dis-confirm my guess.

Does the impeller spin freely with the motor unplugged?

Yes, the impeller spins freely (it did have some turning "curls" on it when I first checked it). All the connections that I could check were tight. Still looking.
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

9. Check your bearings also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Gazda View Post
    I have a Delta dust collector with a 1.5 HP motor. I noticed this morning that the morning is taking 2 to 3 times longer to get up to speed. Is the motor burning out? I have been meaning to wire it for 220 but haven't got it done.

Advise?
    It won't run any faster or start any better wired for 240 than it does on 120. It sounds like your start capacitor is failing. It will develop exactly the same horsepower on either voltage. Unless the wire supplying it is undersized for the length of run, there is no real reason to change the voltage.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Is the start capacitor something I can replace or do I need to take it to a professional? Can I source one locally or on-line?

Thanks
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

Randy,

You can often find them in a local electrical/electronics supply house. I would suspect there is such a place in Missoula. I have a couple in Lewiston, ID. If not available locally, they are readily available online.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

You are running it with the input and output connected to something, right?
    If a DC is run without restriction, it will draw much more current.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Delta_1346527.jpgDelta sub.jpgThe Capacitor on the left (SSEC) is from my dust collector, the one on the right is from ebay, are they a match?
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

New capacitor didn't fix anything. Internet research suggested checking the Centrifugal Switch contacts. I found the switch was loose and had some grease on the contacts. Once cleaned and tightened, everything is back to normal!
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country