Thread: Teak patio set

Teak patio set

I am not sure this is the right place for this topic.

Anywho i am in the market for a teak patio set. To be honest i kinda figured i would build the stuff myself.

I built a pretty elaborate garden and patio last spring summer and fall. Now spring in New England and i really want someplace to sit and relax.

Anyway the point. I am looking at Gloster teak furniture. As far as teak furniture goes it is supposed to be the cream of the crop. However i figured this out while kicking tires today at a local retailer. It is all constructed with dowels and screws, no glue!

My biggest concern in buying teak furniture is it being crazy expensive then the construction being sub par and it falling apart. Hence my intention originally to make the stuff myself.

Being i don't want to wait till next year i am considering buying this Gloster brand stuff. My thought is i could glue the dowels and joints when i assemble the stuff. On the other hand i wonder is it maybe better for some reason not to glue the joints. If so i cant see what but what do i know. I know to use WesT System G3 with teak but maybe for reasons unknown to me this furniture is better off not being glued?

So would you all buy or build the furniture.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 04-13-2015 at 5:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I know to use WesSystem G3 with teak but maybe for reasons unknown to me this furniture is better off not being glued?
    What the heck is G3? Do you mean G/5, their 5 minute epoxy that "May be used in spot applications to hold parts in position while standard epoxy bonds cure" ?

My bad G Flex

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pleas View Post
    What the heck is G3? Do you mean G/5, their 5 minute epoxy that "May be used in spot applications to hold parts in position while standard epoxy bonds cure" ?

I made my patio bench with Teak and Angelim Pedra stair decks.

It was an entertaining project.

Build the largest pieces, with the fewest joints yourself.
    Buy the 'occasional chairs' that will be in storage
    until you have large gatherings.

FWIW - I prefer Cypress for outdoor furniture, now.
    I think it weathers better and it's easier to handle than Teak.

P1000138.jpg

Blog Entries
    Funny that this comes up. We bought a house last year that came with this beautiful set of steamer deck chairs. I love them, and had planned to refinish them. My wife thought otherwise. Yesterday she came to me and said, "Guess what- I sold the deck chairs for $50." Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh!!!!! That resulted in me posting her favorite hand-made leather purse on facebook for $25. (All in good humor, including our lawyer commenting it was grounds for divorce.) Fortunately it wasn't too late to stop the sale, and this prompted me to go ahead and start sanding them so she can see what she was about to give away. After two minutes, literally, the one on the left was already showing her true colors.
    image.jpg

I would not not glue them unless they are just flimsy without it. Teak moves a lot as it dries in the sun. Also one great thing is you can take it apart for sanding, as I am doing with these. By the way, I am not at all a fan of the weathered look, so I am going to varnish with Epiphanes with UV inhibitor when done.

Here in the PNW African Teak is running $30 to $40 per board foot. At those prices you really, really want to plan carefully.

Edit: Damn, I meant Burmese Teak - not African Teak
    Last edited by Keith Pleas; 04-13-2015 at 10:36 PM.

Anybody making outdoor furniture from Alaskan Yellow Cedar, up your way?

Keith,
    FWIW - CrossCut and Compton have very nice Teak for $27 BF.

Patrick - I bought an expandable Teak Deck Table and 6 chairs a few years ago from Costco for significantly less than the cost of the material. They have lasted quite well.

BTW- I add $500 to any Teak project quote to pay for all cutting tools to be re-sharpened. Teak is a bitch on blades and knives. Compton only runs Teak just before they are going to re-sharpen tools.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 04-13-2015 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Funny that this comes up. We bought a house last year that came with this beautiful set of steamer deck chairs. I love them, and had planned to refinish them. My wife thought otherwise. Yesterday she came to me and said, "Guess what- I sold the deck chairs for $50." Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh!!!!! That resulted in me posting her favorite hand-made leather purse on facebook for $25. (All in good humor, including our lawyer commenting it was grounds for divorce.) Fortunately it wasn't too late to stop the sale, and this prompted me to go ahead and start sanding them so she can see what she was about to give away. After two minutes, literally, the one on the left was already showing her true colors.
    image.jpg

I would not not glue them unless they are just flimsy without it. Teak moves a lot as it dries in the sun. Also one great thing is you can take it apart for sanding, as I am doing with these. By the way, I am not at all a fan of the weathered look, so I am going to varnish with Epiphanes with UV inhibitor when done.
    Are you sure the buyer is still going to want them now that you've stripped away the character?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Are you sure the buyer is still going to want them now that you've stripped away the character?
    I'm not into character. I like varnish.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    image.jpg
    Great story, Malcolm.

Sounds like people don't think it a bad idea to purchase the stuff.

i have worked with teak a fair amount so. Am wise to the cost and blunting affect on tools.

The chairs are $1450 a piece, table $1100 and chaise $2800

Right now I'm thinking three chairs the table and a umbrella.

Just about 5K out the door.

Chairs come with cushions...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Keith,
    FWIW - CrossCut and Compton have very nice Teak for $27 BF.
    Thanks for that - I went by Crosscut today to take a look at their FEQ (First European Quality) plantation teak - they had a good amount at $27.50/bf.

Their African Teak (Afrormosia) was about half that price.

2015-04-13 13.32.18.jpg
    Last edited by Keith Pleas; 04-13-2015 at 10:44 PM.