Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottom collection bag for dust collector

Bottom collection bag for dust collector

Can I just use a heavy duty plastic garbage bag? Seems simple, right? Feel like I'm missing something. 2HP harbor freight model, if it matters.

These are the questions that keep me up at night, prompting a 3 am post.

You can, if you can find one. I was unsuccessful at HD & at Lowes. Heavy Duty at the right size was just not available. So I inserted the DC bag with the dust/chips upside down into a large trash bash, carefully emptied the contents into the trash bag & then reused the original HF bag. Worked for me.
    Now go back to sleep, you are overly concerned.

Agree...you can buy a heavy gauge plastic lower bag from numerous sources. I have emptied mine over and over again. Plastic garbage bags are too light for the job. Available from Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Horn-11781-Disposable-Plastic/dp/B003NE5A9Q

I bought a package of 5 for my Shop Fox dust collector and I've only used one or two in three years.

Good luck

I've emptied and reused my plastic bag at least a dozen times. It has a few places of packing tape patches. I have a new bag that came with the machine in a cupboard somewhere...
    Some day, I'll try a heavy duty, construction clean up trash bag. The only problem I foresee with that is that they are black and would be hard to see if they're full.

I use the 40 gal contractors bags from the borgs. Just fold the excess diameter neatly around under the band clamp, it works great. Cheap solution,throw away or whatever when full.

My understanding is that replacing the bottom bag with plastic restricts the air flow too much. But if it works for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    My understanding is that replacing the bottom bag with plastic restricts the air flow too much. But if it works for you...
    Wade, I believe the stock bottom bag on that unit is plastic.

Like others, I reuse the factory bag and just slap a piece of duct tape over tears.

If you go with a trash bag, see if your local Borg carries Husky contractor cleanup bags. At 3 mils they're the strongest non-industrial bags I've found.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cenicola View Post
    Can I just use a heavy duty plastic garbage bag? Seems simple, right? Feel like I'm missing something. 2HP harbor freight model, if it matters. .
    I have a plastic bag INSIDE the lower bag. Keeps it from blowing out.
    You can get large bags at custodial supply houses.
    Home Depot has a commercial supply branch. Here are some larger bags in this list.
    http://hdsupplysolutions.com/shop/c/trash-bags-21263
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 04-13-2015 at 9:01 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Wade, I believe the stock bottom bag on that unit is plastic.
    Apparently you are right... I guess one bag can handle the unit's air flow.

http://www.americanfabricfilter.com/ They will make you a bag in any size you desire. They have several weight bags to meet your requirements. If you call you will find they are very knowledgeable and informative.

Thanks to all for the reply. I actually decided on a garbage can separater. I'm hoping that makes dust removal easier, as well as improve my efficiency. Will be finishing up on my weekend (today & Wednesday).

Another option I tried a while back and it works fine - paper yard waste bags. I just tape up the bag when full and haul it to the curb with the rest of the weekly trash. Only drawback is that you can't see dust/chip level in the bag. But you can easily feel where the line is before using it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ags&highlight=
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cenicola View Post
    Can I just use a heavy duty plastic garbage bag? Seems simple, right? Feel like I'm missing something. 2HP harbor freight model, if it matters.

These are the questions that keep me up at night, prompting a 3 am post.
    I use to buy the expensive plastic bags and use them till they wore out.

I had one blow out on me, and only thing i had was a 4mil heavy construction garbage back that I buy in a big box at Home Depot. Works great, and now I just tie them off and a local horse farm takes them for the stalls.

Only down side, I can't see inside. I check the level by just feeling the side of the bag now. I know when to change. Not nearly as

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I have a plastic bag INSIDE the lower bag. Keeps it from blowing out.
    You can get large bags at custodial supply houses.
    Home Depot has a commercial supply branch. Here are some larger bags in this list.
    http://hdsupplysolutions.com/shop/c/trash-bags-21263

None of those bags match the strength of the Husky 42 gal 3-mil contractor bags at HD stores. We used them for years to haul busted up tile and mortar from the job to the truck....they're are the best I've found.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Back when we were doing the trade show circuit, we would buy one of the El Cheapo single-bag collectors and I could get one full season's worth of use out of that plastic bag. At the end of the season, I would throw the bag as well the collector in the dumpster. It was always on the verge of falling apart by that point. The bag lasted, though.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep