Thread: Air (compressor) hammers...

Air (compressor) hammers...

My wife and I brain-stormed for a list of home improvement projects we need

to do or have done within the next year or so. I was wondering if there was an

air hammer (powered by an air compressor) which could do the following:

1. Nail fence ballisters to the rail-approximately 1 ˝” 4D nails;

2. When building some furniture and attaching moldings, thin finish nails;

3. We have an asphalt shingle roof which needs some new shingles—nailing these?

4. staples…nails…various sizes…can one air hammer do many sized nails and staples, or do they only do one size? Obviously I have never even looked at an air hammer…

Specific suggestions? Makes? Models? Where to purchase? Which air compressor to get?

Phil

You'll need three or four nailers:

1. a 16 gauge nailer;
    2. an 18 Gauge brad nailer or a 23 gauge pinner;
    3. a roofing 'coil' nailer;
    4. one or more staplers - 1/4" crown, 1/2" crown, etc.

Nailers generally ony use one sixe (diameter or gauge) of nail. Most will accommodate several different lengths, but only one gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Winn

4. staples…nails…various sizes…can one air hammer do many sized nails and staples, or do they only do one size? Obviously I have never even looked at an air hammer…

Specific suggestions? Makes? Models? Where to purchase? Which air compressor to get?

Phil

Thanks Jim

Thanks Jim, so much for that idea...I was hoping to purchase
    one tool to do everything....back to using a PB&J powered hammer....
    Phil

Phil,

Don't turn your back on the idea of pneumatic guns just because there isn't a "1-size fits all" gun.

Air nailers can do a better job of fastening trim and moulding than you can by hand. It's a cleaner shot of the nail and you don't get hammer dents.

You could get yourself a complete setup of compressor, brad nailer, trim nailer and probably roofing gun for under $500.

Rob

No, not one gun for all those jobs you listed that I know of....I have 7 guns that I use when building homes. They range from framing/sheething nailers, roofing guns and also finish (trim) guns. Some are as old as 15 years, and they are all worth the price many times over.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Winn

Phil

You should be able to get a pancake/brad nailer combo pretty cheep and then rent a framming nail from the borg as you won't need one for that long. I've used the little palm nailers for galvanized common 12D nails and they work pretty good. Takes a few to get used to it but is great in tight spots. I used it for the joist hangers when I did my deck. I bought the import one when WW Warehouse were still around. Should be able to get them anywhere though.