Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tea

Tea

I have grown to love herbal teas. The LOML is a research librarian and found this for me. I will look closer at my shopping choices from now on.

Do you know what is in your tea? This is a very informative article:

http://foodbabe.com/2013/08/21/do-yo...y-in-your-tea/

Take Care...
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.

Blog Entries
    The Food Babe is not a universally recognized authority. She has received a lot of criticism from scientists around her agenda. Me, I like loose leaf Green Tea

And that is why I drink coffee.

That whole diatribe about natural flavors really gets my hackles up.
    My company manufactures such flavors (and fragrances) and I have spent a good deal of time educating customers properly.

This article, however, makes blanket statements and incorrect conclusions.

I have a dog in this fight, so I'm biased.

In 1986 while living in Turkey. I had the dubious pleasure of sharing many glasses of Turkish çay with friends who laughingly referred to it as Chernobyl çay. Following the Chernobyl disaster the fallout plume extended over the tea growing area on the eastern Black sea coast. Everyone was afraid they would start glowing in the dark.

I've tried a few brands of green tea and didn't taste anything ,even strongly brewed. Why? Anybody else experience that?

I've been drinking black tea for 40+ years and still love it and feed the addiction to this day. I think as with anything else, it is an acquired taste. I don't like the flavored teas at all. Just not my thing.

Red
    RED

The internet has a way of spreading distortions, falsehoods and "agendas". I didnt have time to review the food babe's credentials, but just because she wrote out her interpretations of what she read doesnt mean she got it right. And just because somebody has a lawsuit doesnt make it accurate either. Forgive me, I dont mean to be critical or harsh. But the article had a sensationalist tone that set off my warning signals, is all Im saying. Id do more research into this before taking her blog as factual.

Green tea for me, please!

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 04-14-2015 at 7:57 AM.

I wouldn't give a lot of credence to what she says but I'm one who doesn't give a whit about organic stuff. I like my Trader Joe's Earl Grey breakfast tea and once in awhile a flavored (caramel) tea packaged in Iran and brought to us from Germany.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

There are two sides to every story but we should remember that Coca Cola once used cocaine in their soft drinks and it was acceptable at that time based on what we new. Last year I had health problems that caused me to attend a twelve week Cardiac Rehab Program. At the beginning of each session we had a classroom training period that was a real education where food and health concerns were discussed. The group of veteran nurses that provided the training were very knowledgable and their message was very clear, the American diet is one of our worst enemies. I determined that the grocery store can be one of the most dangerous places we frequent based on what I learned. Fast food restaurants are another story

Imagine a room full of heart attack survivors and some of them are just barely in their 30's. Its pretty common the days for young people to suffer from heart disease, this is a sad situation. Ya gotta keep them pipes clean folks of they will clog up.

I won't comment about the story above but I will say that I now am a believer in consuming organic food whenever possible. To back up my personal opinion I have just started the largest vegetable garden I have ever had and invested heavily in new equipment to make it possible. An organic label is not a guarantee that food you consume is actually safe since all of the food in the grocery store is supposed to be safe and we all know that is not true.

Some in the medical community recently predicted that the youngest generation in America today will be the first whose life expectancy is less then their parents.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-14-2015 at 8:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    At the beginning of each session we had a classroom training period that was a real education where food and health concerns were discussed. The group of veteran nurses that provided the training were very knowledgable and their message was very clear, the American diet is one of our worst enemies.
    What kind of diet do they advocate for survivors? Is it individualized or are there some general rules? While all these diet crazes have continued, it seems like medicine still pushes: Reduced animal protein, low-fat, high-fiber, reduced calorie diets. I think their message is to eat lots of vegetables and a little animal protein, they seem to have stuck to that message through everything.

I don't think the Atkins and South Beach and Mediterranean approaches have worked long-term for most people but I could be wrong. Do they talk about those diets in your training? What is their take on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Pratt View Post
    While I agree many of the criticisms are valid, that article and many of the links read like "she attacked Big Food, now Big Food is mounting a counter-attack."

So weird flavored teas have some weird flavored ingredients. Who would have thought.