Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tea

We just do Iced tea by the gallon, freshly brewed Lipton or whatever. For a while we liked Crystal Light instant peach tea mix, until one day I poured some into a glass that had a little milk at the bottom. For some reason, I let it sit a while before getting back to it. When I did, the tea had separated, leaving water at the top of the glass, and a pile of crud at the bottom.

Like I said, we do brewed.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by John M Wilson View Post
    Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    My choice as well.

When I visit one of my friends he serves me a "Picard Special".............LOL...................Rod.

I like the Earl Grey, but I was getting spells of rapid heart beats and it can be a cause. Drink it only occasionally now and
    the 'heart attacks' are less frequent.

No opinion on teas (sorry: Coffee drinker....) but I remember an interesting piece on NPR a year or so back: Apparently, some Chinese farmers have started to grow coffee plants due to the demand over tea. They interviewed a farmer lady and her statement was that she did not understand why peeople wanted coffee, since it tasted terrible, but they did a lot more money off it than growing tea. Thought that was funny.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Very true. Yet another reason to avoid Starbucks. http://www.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/11/17/china.starbucks/

The farmer was right btw. Chinese coffee will likely taste pretty terrible.

Whoa... Local neighborhood coffee joint for me.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Very true. Yet another reason to avoid Starbucks. http://www.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/11/17/china.starbucks/

The farmer was right btw. Chinese coffee will likely taste pretty terrible.
    I'm not removing cosmoline from my cans of coffee.

I agree with many of the comments posted and there are always two sides to every story. I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle. I just would prefer to drink tea without pesticide residue on it. That is a plain and simple fact. Some companies can hide ingredients in "Natural Flavorings" but others will not. The flavorings information was the least of my concerns. The lawsuit for pesticide is what concerned me.

It appears that safe ingredients are for us to research; we have to decide if we want to consume a product based on incomplete labels and manufacturing processes that we are not given the information on. I think the public should be informed of everything used in the growing and manufacturing process so we can make our own decision on purchasing the products produced.

There is fluoride in many teas. My wife is very sensitive to fluoride and if she gets a tiny bit, her muscles are cramped the next day. She always tries a cup of the brands I buy and if she has a reaction, I never go back because I want to stay as fluoride free as possible. Fluoride could make a very informative thread for those that are interested in avoiding poison. I have real life family experience with fluoride. I also have government documents stating what fluoride does to a small percentage of people. The point being that just because some people say something is safe, it may not be so. Do you really think the pesticides are safe even though they are in small quantities? Everyone should be aware of what they consume as we are what we eat.

And yes – Food Babe might be out of line with blanket statements but there are threads of truth there. Sometimes people throw out everything because of one point or statement they do not agree with.

What ever your brand of tea or coffee you prefer, just have a comfort level that you are getting a pure product so you do not get some chemical that may cause you harm someday because harm will never be traceable.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

While on vacation in China I happened to visit a large tea plantation and sat in on a tea tasting. They demonstrated the proper way to make the best cup of tea was to discard the first brew as a rinse and drink the second brew. It didn't occur to me to ask at the time but Ill bet that doing the rinse not only makes a smoother cup of tea it also washes out some of the pesticides.