Thread: Beaver vs Berg chisels

Beaver vs Berg chisels

I have been exploring some older chisels and decided that I like Berg ones for paring. They are very thin and feel nice when paring. Ones I bought were very beat up but cleaned up ok. They still look like beaters, but work well. I was missing 3/8 and 5/8 sizes and saw some Beaver chisels in that size so decided to try them out. According to the interwebs Beaver was made by Berg for Canada. It might be true, but if you are looking for the Berg chisel experience then I would advise against Beaver
    Beavers are much thicker at the tip, 0.5mm or more, especially smaller sizes (1/4 and 3/8) are quite a bit stouter. Bergs also actually vary in their thickness, I have three 3/4 inch that are 3, 2.8, and 2 mm thick. Beaver 3/4 chisel was 3.5mm. For comparison Narex 3/4 inch is 3 mm thick while Veritas 3/4 inch fancy bench chisel is 3.5 mm.

Steel on all Bergs seems to be nice, but I am no expert and have not tried them on any hard woods, just some pine I was making a box out of this weekend.
    All this chisel exploration makes me appreciate my cheap Narex even more and those big Nrex handles actually work well in my relatively big hands.

Anyways, just some info for future Beaver chisel buyers. Of course all this is based on a very small sample size and there could be variability with those Beaver chisels as well.

Forgot to mention that all of these chisels are tang type.
    Last edited by Reinis Kanders; 04-14-2015 at 12:29 AM. Reason: chisel type