Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SawStop from Unisaw maybe new questions

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Turbett View Post
    Saw Stop recommends dado sets with wing chippers as opposed to full plate chippers. Apparently the added mass of the full plate chippers can damage the arbor if the brake fires.
    I have never heard of arbor damage from a brake activation on a dado stack. I believe Sawstop's recommendation is more concerned with the brake detection and activation. From Sawstop's webpage of Frequently asked questions, "SawStop recommends only using 8” stacked dado sets, with a maximum thickness of 13/16”. “Wobble” dado sets are not recommended, as they may not engage correctly with the dado brake cartridge. Do not use dado sets with solid-plate interior chippers or blades with molding heads, as neither brake cartridge is designed to stop those blade types."

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Bigger picture thought here:

If you are into restoration and finishing, then why waste your shop real estate on a big table saw at all? I'm myself moving to more and more hand tool work - not for religion, but for convenience and portability. I find I use my bandsaw more effectively and frequently now. In combination with a good jointing technique (and of course proper support), a bandsaw makes a safer (IMHO) ripper than even a Sawstop. The table saw has excelled for speed and repeatability, but in your method of working, I don't know that you require the bells and whistles of a cabinet saw.
    Well... like Chris Rock once said "A woman cannot go backwards in lifestyle.. uh-uh! No way can she downsize. When she says It's okay baby you lost your job we can get rid of some stuff here, she means you! She's not getting rid of any of her stuff man."

Once you have the use of a cabinet saw it's hard to just go without. I look at the pro's or our well known personalities (Mr. Schwarz, Mr. Klausz, Mr. Underhill, et al) a lot of these gents use hand tools at master craftsman level but still have standard power tools (Roy we know doesn't) in their own person shops. My ultimate goal is to take refinishing, restore and repair into a small business and move the shop out of the house or move the house to where the shop is on the property. What I have in the garage shop will become part of the business or replaced with better equipment. I've spent time visiting with guys who have done this to learn what to expect and be realistic about it. Most all mentioned I should have a decent TS and Bandsaw.

I didn't understand that you are trying to make a business out of this. For production and speed, I can see having a table saw. I made the mistake of interpreting your original post to mean you were a hobbyist that is looking to free up space in your garage, and have discovered that you don't use a table saw as the central tool in your shop.

At the very least, your TS will serve as a great flat assembly and finishing table when not in use

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I didn't understand that you are trying to make a business out of this. For production and speed, I can see having a table saw. I made the mistake of interpreting your original post to mean you were a hobbyist that is looking to free up space in your garage, and have discovered that you don't use a table saw as the central tool in your shop.

At the very least, your TS will serve as a great flat assembly and finishing table when not in use
    Well I am a hobbyist on the way to starting a business. Again the whole thing is about safety too. My hope and expectation is that someday my sons will inherit my good tools as I have done so myself (a few really). If these machines are that good they'll be around for years so in the meantime when my sons are around now to use it my TS will be safer. Heck I've had guys doing work in the house borrow my shop to do their work since my tools are better than theirs. ;-)
    We fuss about money and I don't have dollars to throw around but I'll sleep better if I have a safer machine that does great work too.