Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lathe Vibration

Lathe Vibration

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem that has recently developed. I have a Record/Coronet CL3/48 lathe that has been great for the 30 years or so that I have owned it. Recently when I turn it on I can hear and feel a vibration on the lathe bed. If I loosen off the handle that tightens the motor down it goes away but I can see the motor bouncing a bit. When I tighten it back up the noise comes back. It must be in the motor because if I disconnect the drive belt to the spindle so only the motor is turning it's still there. I took the motor off and checked it over and the shaft has no play at all in it so I think the bearings are all good. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I don't think I am going to be able to find a new motor if that's what is needed. The lathe is in perfect condition and I'd hate to have to buy a different one.. any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like a bearing problem.

Take the fan shroud off and see if the blades are clean. You can also check the shaft for wobble or play.

I have no idea of the source of the vibration, but it does sound like it is a motor issue. Most electric motors have standard mounting specs, so a motor replacement might be possible or find a good motor repair shop and let them take a look at it. Your lathe is apparently a spindle lathe, for the most part, and enjoys a good reputation, but it might be time to consider an upgrade.

Thanks for the replies everyone....I did take the fan shroud off and blew out all the dust. Someone where I live thought maybe a bearing issue as well but there is no wobble or play in the shaft at all. Actually today it doesn't seem as bad so maybe cleaning it out and lubing where the shaft enters the motor may have helped? The bearings are probably sealed and don't require lubrication but I thought I'd do it anyway. John...I hear what you're saying about an upgrade....but I LOVE this thing....does everything I need it to do so I'd really like to keep it going if at all possible. It's in mint condition...I've seen some for sale recently and for some reason the chrome bars that make up the bed are coated in rust in every picture. Mine are still shiny as new with not so much as a scratch. Thanks again guys...I'll report in a bit if it continues to improve..

Loose pulley? Missing key in the pulley key way? Misaligned pulleys?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    Loose pulley? Missing key in the pulley key way? Misaligned pulleys?
    Thanks Doug but all that is ok.......

Nice looking lathe--is it a US or UK make?

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Nice looking lathe--is it a US or UK make?
    Thanks Robert.... it's a UK made...

If it is in fact the motor causing vibration and needs replacing, looking at your motor, it seem like you could find a replacement or maybe a different company with a very close motor with the same specs that would work. I have motors that
    run vacuum pumps, continuous duty that look a lot like that. I will sometimes have to replace with a 1.5 or 2.0 hp motor with same rpm and rotation.
    Where the motor mounts to the lathe, is there a 4 bolt pattern? I'm going to assume that those are all good and tight.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Huffman View Post
    If it is in fact the motor causing vibration and needs replacing, looking at your motor, it seem like you could find a replacement or maybe a different company with a very close motor with the same specs that would work. I have motors that
    run vacuum pumps, continuous duty that look a lot like that. I will sometimes have to replace with a 1.5 or 2.0 hp motor with same rpm and rotation.
    Where the motor mounts to the lathe, is there a 4 bolt pattern? I'm going to assume that those are all good and tight.
    Thanks Steve....yes the 4 bolts are tight...I've read somewhere that it would be hard to find a replacement motor because of the extra long shaft needed for the pulley. It said most motors would just have the standard length shaft.

A motor shop can go over your motor and repair as needed. Should not be too expensive, certainly not compared to the cost of a new one. Also, and no I don't think this is the problem, but consider the linked belt type pulley belt when you re-install. They make a difference as well.

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Is the head of the lathe in a different position along the lathe bed than previously or when you get the vibration? Are the bed bars all secure?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Whaling View Post
    Is the head of the lathe in a different position along the lathe bed than previously or when you get the vibration? Are the bed bars all secure?
    Geoff....I usually leave the lathe head in the same position on the bed and the bars are secure......

Barry, I still suspect the bearings. You would not normally notice wobble or play in the shaft unless things are really bad. You have had it 30 years, it's time to replace the bearings. That's about how long you can expect sealed bearings to last and this is part of motor maintenance. You have kept the machine in such great shape! If you rotate the motor shaft by hand (no belt) you might feel a slight rumble, which would be a clear indicated of a bad bearing. Call around to motor shops in the area to see what the cost would be. They will set you up for the next 30 years.

Doug