Thread: Oneida filter clog problem

Oneida filter clog problem

I have a V-3000 system that has functioned well for several years now, provided I remember to empty the bin before it overfills and clogs the filter! The other day I noticed that the suction had dropped dramatically and that the system was not sounding normal. I checked the bin and it was less than three quarters full. But when I tapped the filter I knew that it was full. So now an hour later I am up and running again but my question is why did the filter clog up? And it wasn't that the pleats were just filled with dust, the filter tube itself was filled with sawdust and shavings that were supposed to be in the collection bin. I have no idea why this happened and I'm curious if other woodworkers have had this happen to them and what the cause was and what we can do to prevent it from happening again.

Is your drum lid sealed good?
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Jesse nailed it.

The most common cause of sawdust, not the fines, getting to the filter is air leaks in either the barrel or any connection between the barrel and the cyclone.

The way the cyclone works is air comes in and spins down and then reverses direction to go up the central tube. At the moment when it reverse direction, the air loses velocity and it's carrying capacity. Gravity takes over and the heavier sawdust falls down into the barrel. If air leaks occur in either the barrel or the connecting hoses and where it attaches to the cyclone housing, the air stream created by the leak is enough to lift sawdust up into the central tube which results in it getting to the filters.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-14-2015 at 10:10 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks for pointing out the obvious! I have a viewing cutout on the bin lid that I cover with a magnetic sheet and a few days ago I noticed that I had left it open. I shall be more careful in the future.