Thread: One of my recent infills

One of my recent infills

I recently finished this smoother, and I rather like it. The 1 15/16'' blade is bedded at 50 degrees. The sole is 9'' long. The bun is a bit of a departure from tradition. It's quite comfortable, though... 1/2 knob and 1/2 bun.
    95 13.jpg95 8.jpg95 1.jpg95 18.jpg

Blog Entries
    Very nice. I would be happy to do a thorough shop test for you.

Very nice. Judging by your shavings, she cuts beautifully. I like the shapes - the tote looks comfortable.

I have some questions, if you dont mind?
    1. What species of wood?
    2. Also, forgive my ignorance - what is the screw at the top of your scalloped blade used for
    3. Is this a single iron plane? Bevel up or down? I wouldnt expect a bevel up bedded at 50*, but I didnt recognize a chipbreaker. Does that really thick blade let go bevel down, single iron? Please give us some more on your design and thinking.

Nice work.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 04-14-2015 at 9:18 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Wonderful craftsmanship!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The wood is Bubinga (ammonia fumed for a bit of darkening). The screw on top is to ensure that the blade can't accidentally slip through the mouth when the lever cap is loose. Sharp steel + concrete floor = bad. This is a bevel down plane. With an infill at a relatively high angle, a lever cap that applies pressure near the cutting edge serves very well as a chipbreaker.

If it is half knob, half bun, is it a nun? Just kidding.

I really like the execution, it looks very well thought out.

Wow, that is beautiful.

The first things I noticed were that you used bronze to go across on the front, nice touch which I gather took some extra work, also the blade sits on a metal (bronze) ramp. Anything you are willing to share about its construction would be welcomed. Awesome work.

Pedro

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Reyes View Post
    Wow, that is beautiful.

The first things I noticed were that you used bronze to go across on the front, nice touch which I gather took some extra work, also the blade sits on a metal (bronze) ramp. Anything you are willing to share about its construction would be welcomed. Awesome work.

Pedro
    Yes, I agree. Care to post a view of the soleplate and the ramp?

I really like that!

Picture of the sole and ramp. The blade actually rides on a stainless steel pin that is set in the brass ramp. I find that this "anvil" design ensures that the pressure from the levercap will be focused down near the blade's cutting edge.
    95 3.jpg95 4.jpg

Beautiful....just beautiful !!

Lucky guy you....awarded several "You Suck" awards and a green with envy poster...hoot!

Very nice work Mateo. Thanks for posting the bottom view. Is all that brass / bronze machined out of a single ingot? The result is surely seemless..

13. Already said, but I can't think of a better word than beautiful!

Keep sharing these with lots of pics!

The body is pieced together from flat stock... cutting, milling, drilling, tapping. Milling from a solid brass ingot would be pricey. You'd also have to contend with a lot of issues due to stress release in the brass. The original cooling process causes internal stresses in metal. When you shape it the material tends to bend and curl in unpleasant ways.