Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arduino and Raspberry Pi

1. I found the following http://www.instructables.com/id/Uber...-w-Arduino-Pi/ and have enough bits to make a start, just not the time. It is a very good starting point.

Regards

Graham

Here's an Arduino controlled table saw box joint jig that I had found a while ago:
    http://tobiasmuthesius.net/2012/06/a...box-joint-jig/

Thanks for the links. Some great info.
    My local Radio Shack is alive and well. They have been restocking too. I am in my 40's and remember going to that store in the same location when I was a kid.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

This is a cool new gadget to ponder the applications for, thanks for more ideas.

Bringing this thread back to life.
    I ordered an Arduino kit from a seller in Kansas last week. Should be here tomorrow. I plan on making an 8x8x8 LED box as one project. Looks like fun to play with.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mXM-oGggrM
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 06-30-2015 at 11:45 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I just picked up a Raspberry Pi 2 and got it loaded with Windows 10 Core tonight. Not the Windows 10 you might be familiar with but an embedded version intended to run a single app. Since I'm a Windows developer by day, it will use the same development tools and language (C#) I'm used to. Hopefully I can sell my Arduino stuff to someone and recoup my (small) investment there.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Bringing this thread back to life.
    I ordered an Arduino kit from a seller in Kansas last week. Should be here tomorrow. I plan on making an 8x8x8 LED box as one project. Looks like fun to play with.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mXM-oGggrM

Looks like a cool project.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Total digital/computer development dummy here so I hope someone can answer the question for me.

I have been looking at this http://www.yuriystoys.com/p/android-dro.html to control a 12 volt motor I am going to fit to my Hammer A3-31 combination machine to motorise the lift and fall. The mechanical side I have worked out, that is easy and the DRO side seems simple enough but I have yet to buy the electronics. What I would like to do is be able to set a target height and the motor would move the table to that height. Would this be achievable using a Raspberry or Arduino or has it been already done which would be better for me. Ideally I would use an Android tablet for the readout and control.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    ... I hope someone can answer the question for me....
    Controlling a motor is something both Arduino and Raspberry Pi can do. For all but the smallest low-voltage motors you need an interface card. You would need software to interface with the DRO and your input. That SW may exist, but I don't know of it. Since you're asking the question I'm guessing you aren't interested in creating it. Actually, I suspect it would be easiest for the UI to run on the Android device being use to display the DRO values. Controlling the motor would then involve sending commands to the motor controller, perhaps a dongle or perhaps e.g. an Arduino.

Probably your best resource is the robotics or CNC folks. (I remember early 3D printers used Arduinos as controllers, they had to drive motors for three axises. Some of that development was open source, so there must be code you could use or use as a starting point.)

Bump back to the top.
    After two years since this thread started, just wondering if anyone else has gotten into Arduino or Raspberry pi.
    I have been doing a lot of reading and have been messing around with a Electronic Learning Kit ( $15 on closeout at a Radio Shack) But ready for the next step.
    - Rick Dale

Me and some buddies picked up an Arduino UNO plus an audio shield. I can't tell you what we are doing with it but it is helping us build a prototype of what we hope is a marketable product. With Arduino, there are ways to miniaturize the circuitry once you have a firm hold on your concept. Very cool stuff!
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 01-27-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    ... just wondering if anyone else has gotten into Arduino or Raspberry pi...
    As a matter of fact, yes. I've had an Arduino for 2 years but I did nearly nothing with it until recently, and I got a Raspberry Pi for Christmas. The RPi is an amazing little computer for almost free. I attached a wireless keyboard and mouse and plugged the HDMI output into a big wall-hung TV. It was very impressive surfing the web but once the novelty wore off, I put it aside. I use Linux on bigger computers every day and the RPi is too limited to be a good replacement for a PC. There are many other ways to use Linux nearly for free, although few of them will fit in a shirt pocket.

If you want to learn electronics and are willing to do some programming, get the Arduino. If the programming is a show-stopper, I'd look for a third choice. It's amazing what the Arduino will do with a few lines of code in the many examples but it's not going to do anything without it.

Mine came with (I think) the Make Getting Started With Arduino kit. It's OK but won't get you very far. You will quickly find you need more breadboards, more Arduinos (and/or the chips, which can be swapped out and preserve their programs), potentiometers, power transistors, displays, etc. etc. Amazon Prime is a good source.

Raspberry Pi's can be used to control Arduinos. If you really get into it, you might get one of them anyway. Good luck.

Not specifically WW related but I have bunch running various things around the house

Cameras - https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos/wiki
    Turn a USB or board camera into a IP camera.

Media clients - https://osmc.tv/
    With the exception of the LR TV (main box running Kodi on a Intel NUC I7), all the others in the house are RPis running Kodi clients sharing all our media. Video, music and live TV (with network tuners) Eliminated all the cable company boxes in the house to boot.

Network wide ad blocker - https://pi-hole.net/
    My absolute favorite Pi project. Blocks all those annoying web ads on your home network including your smart TV! It's great to surf the web and not see ads, but I had no idea how much bandwidth all that ad crap uses. Our bandwidth had dropped by 40% or more since I installed it.

Mike