Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fine tuning tooth set.

Derek,

are you saying that Mike put the paper on just below the teeth tips by cutting through it? If the teeth do not extend above the paper I do not see how they are being squeezed less than the rest of the plate. I guess I do not understand it, like rugby and cricket. (^_^) You 2 are a day ahead of me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Wagener View Post
    I guess I do not understand it, like rugby and cricket. (^_^)
    Rugby is a bit like soccer, just without all the sissies, temper tantrums and theatrical falls.

Cricket is a bit like Baseball, just without that silly mitt to catch a ball (what's wrong with your hands?). We also don't wear Errol Flynn leggings.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Wagener View Post
    Derek,

are you saying that Mike put the paper on just below the teeth tips by cutting through it? If the teeth do not extend above the paper I do not see how they are being squeezed less than the rest of the plate. I guess I do not understand it, like rugby and cricket. (^_^) You 2 are a day ahead of me though.
    Noah

OK, first point. The paper does not compress.

Point two: You wrote, "If the teeth do not extend above the paper". This thing is that the teeth go through the paper and extend to the outer edge of the paper but the saw plate does not - it remains where it started from, which is the thickness of the paper lower than the sides of the set teeth. Remove the paper, and the set of the teeth are proud by the thickness of the paper. And uniformly so.

Point Three: Some things are only understood by cricketers and rugby players.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    First off, the difference in Cricket and Baseball is that baseball takes a very long time to finish the game, and cricket takes forever.

Back on point, I remember the first time I read Mike Wenzloff's paper method, and my first thought was, "Oh my goodness... the teeth are only set that narrow?" You don't want to know how far I was setting them. No wonder (a) my kerfs were huge, and (b) it took forever to cut a small piece of wood! Now I absolutely love sawing by hand. I wish I had read a little more closely when I was self-learning to sharpen saws and set teeth!

Derek said it, but just to clarify it, the teeth poke through the paper because they are sharp and cut it at the points, but the flat of the blade doesn't and that's why the teeth end up being set the thickness of the paper on each side.

Blog Entries
    Now for some BLASPHEMY...

A recent order of bandsaw blades came with an enormous amount of set. Two metal plates were set in my large metal vise and used to squeeze the blade without the use of paper. This was used to "flatten" the band saw blade ~6" at a time. The springiness of the blade material kept the set from going to zero.

In this case the over set blade problems were resolved.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Now for some BLASPHEMY...

A recent order of bandsaw blades came with an enormous amount of set. Two metal plates were set in my large metal vise and used to squeeze the blade without the use of paper. This was used to "flatten" the band saw blade ~6" at a time. The springiness of the blade material kept the set from going to zero.

In this case the over set blade problems were resolved.

jtk
    I'm curious to know if that blade wandered or not afterwards. I have some blades that are horribly set and I just don't have time to set them one by one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I'm curious to know if that blade wandered or not afterwards. I have some blades that are horribly set and I just don't have time to set them one by one.
    It actually tracked better after the vise treatment. After installing a blade I usually mark the blade and then give each tooth a couple of swipes with one of my slip stones. My bandsaw only has a 72-5/8" blade so it gets done fairly fast.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The amount of packing used is determined by the depth of saw plate.