Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handle for 1/4" Detail Gouge?

>Thom Sturgill wrote: I am not sure that I would classify that as a collet. It is pretty much the same as the Hosuluk adapter mentioned earlier.

Collet, adapter, call it what you want. We have been calling them collets for 20 years and I have seen references to them called collets in old machining books from the 1930's. Merriam-Webster defines "collet" as a metal band, collar, ferrule, or flange, a casing or socket for holding a tool (as a drill bit), first use: 1528.

To avoid confusion, perhaps this can be called "Metal Device To Hold Round-Shafted Lathe Tools Securely In Handles By Means Of Set Screws For Quick Change And Adjustability". On second thought...

Whatever the name, the point here is it is excellent for lathe tools, especially the smaller diameter Thompson spindle and detail gouges which tend to be too long. (IMHO)

Some advantages are:

- A long tool can be sunk deep into a hole in the body of the handle, exposing only the length needed for smaller spindle pieces. This greatly improves the stability and ease of handling the tool, especially when used one-handed as many of us have found is best for many cuts.

- The tool can be removed in seconds for sharpening. While not as important as for large-diameter steel in long handles, removing the tool is still my favorite way to sharpen. When a tool extension from the handle is short it can sometimes be difficult to hold properly in some jigs.

- As the tool length is reduced by sharpening, this collet permits positioning the tool to give the same extension length. A consistent length helps with fine control. Adjusting the extension length is difficult (i.e. impossible) with some other methods, for example if the tool is epoxied into the handle.

- The amount of extension can be changed for different applications, for example, lengthened when working further from the tool rest, say at the bottom of a cove. Note that in this case it is usually better to switch to a larger diameter and sturdier gouge.

- Since the tool can be removed in seconds, when it gets dull it can be swapped in seconds with another identical sharp tool. I usually keep several of each of my most-used sizes sharp and ready to go. I HATE to stop in the middle of a piece and resharpen.

- Since many tools have a similar shaft diameter, different types of tools can share the same handle. For example, I have a variety of small Hunter tools that fit a single handle. This really saves on tool rack space!

- Since some tools vary slightly in diameter, the hole in the collet can be sized to fit the largest without compromising the use. Holding with set screws in this case is a big advantage in this case over the type of slotted, tapered collet typically used to hold end mills and other tools that must rotate absolutely concentric for metal working.

- They can be made in different diameters to better fit the tool. (One size does not fit all) Since I make these myself I can make the diameter of the body appropriate for the tool and handle size. Most of those I've seen available for sale were about 1" in diameter which is great for 5/8" or 3/4" tools but unnecessary and undesirable for smaller sizes such as 1/4". A smaller diameter makes a small tool easier to grasp and so easier to control, especially when used one-handed as mentioned earlier. I can understand WHY they make them all the same diameter but that doesn't mean it's the best.

Of course you get some of the same advantages with one of the many commercial handles you can buy today which hold the tool in much the same way. However, I like wood handles. I dislike the feel of handles made from metal and plastic. This type of collet allows making a comfortable, custom handle from wood very quickly.

I turn these on a metal-working lathe fairly quickly, but I think they can be made on a wood-turning lathe using the tools we all have, although it would take longer. I have made lots of small things from brass and aluminum on my Jet 16-42 using Thompson tools - finials, multi-axis turnings, finger tops, etc. It is important to use the right metal - for example, there is a type of brass that machines better than others. I think I'll try making one of these collets that way and see how it goes.

JKJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

I agree they are useful and I turn them from aluminium rod on my Jet 1642, though anymore I just drill rod and epoxy it in larger tube since I prefer the resulting handle.

The definition that I saw for 'collet' implied that it was held in a holder rather than that it held with a screw. Did not mean to upset, just clarify for someone looking to buy a collet.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I like them John. Very nicely done and certainly practical. Some great alternatives and preferences expressed in this thread!

Doug

I made one today on my Jet 1642 using a piece of 6061 aluminum rod. It took longer than on the metal lathe, but still less than an hour.

I turned it with spindle gouge, parting tool, and skew. Drilled and tapped for 1/4-20 set screws and made a handle from bocote. I took some pictures with my phone (not great pictures!) that I might post in another thread when I get time to show and describe the whole process. The photos below are with the Hunter tools I plan to use with this handle.

This collet is just under 3/4" in diameter with a 3/8" bore (drilled 1/64th over). The receiving hole in the handle is drilled about 1/2" dia, 4" deep.

The flexibility of this handle method makes it my favorite method, hands down. I hope to eventually replace all of my handles with these but that will take a while. (the too many tool problem) Good clean fun!

JKJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

>...definition for 'collet'...

I agree, this thing needs a more descriptive name, or I need to find the better name and start using it to avoid confusion. "Adapter" never cut it for me, too vague. The first ones I got years ago were from my good friend Frank Penta - someone in his circle machined them primarily for club members. When I got a metal lathe I realized I could make them a lot cheaper and make them more useful.

For those who have used the 1" diameter, try some 5/8" or 3/4" with a nicely shaped handle - it makes all the difference in comfort and controllability. Note that for the 5/8" size I stick to steel since the wall is getting a bit too thin for enough threads in aluminum, at least for 1/4-20 set screws.

Note that I primarily turn spindles and small things. Big turnings need a different handle design.

JKJ