Thread: Scraper Shape for Bowl Work

Scraper Shape for Bowl Work

I'm the new owner of a 1/4" detail gouge and 1-1/4" scraper in the recent Doug Thompson charity event.

I'm a fairly new turner. I talked to Doug about scraper shape for bowl turning and (as I recall) he suggested a slightly rounded nose that was swept back to one side (I believe left) so you could work the inside and outside of the bowl. I requested this shape on the new scraped but it came with a pretty symmetrical slightly radius-ed tip. Would appreciate picture or diagram on how others shape their scrapers for bowls.

Thanks,

Mike

Check out Robo Hippy's you tube channel. He uses scrapers heavily and has one on shape.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Here is the address for the video that Thom suggested.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM4ak8ygzS4
    Just as I was getting used to yesterday, along came today....

One can never have too many tools.... Thanks for posting the link. If you have any questions, just ask. I have mostly standard swept back on the left side, but also a couple of round nose, and one ) nose.

robo hippy

Something like this works well.
    20130709_150920.jpg

Pat, are those negative rake scrapers? If so, they are fine for dainty clean up work, but lousy for heavy roughing.

robo hippy

Yes both are negative rake. Good point, if you're wanting a scraper for shaping or rough turning then negative rake is not what you want. I posted the pic to help Mike with shaping the tool.

As long as the cutting edge is radiused it doesn't make too much difference whether the other side is straight or radiused. I prefer the cutting edge to be swept back so you can alter the angle of approach to the bowl.

I wonder if that swept-back-on-one-side-only style is for ease of sharpening?

I find radiused scrapers easy to free-hand sharpen on the grinder anyway.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 04-17-2015 at 9:45 AM.