Thread: Prices for turnings?

Prices for turnings?

Hi everyone...I'm thinking of getting into some craft shows to sell some of my work. Wife says we are running out of room to put them in the house! This may be too broad of a question because different areas of North America may have different demand and prices than other areas. I'm trying to find out a ballpark figure that members would sell items for. I think it also depends if you are in a small local sale at a community center or farmers market type setting or a large juried show that would attract thousands of visitors. I have included a few photo's of some of my turnings and would appreciate any feedback as to what you would charge for items like this. I don't want to set a price way lower than it's worth and also don't want to set too high a price where people would not be interested. If someone would tell me what they would charge for these if they had them in a show that would be a big help..
    Thanks in advance ....here is a description of the items..
    #1 is Spalted Birch 6.5"W x 7"H
    #2 is Black Walnut 11" W x 1.5" H
    #3 is Butternut 11.5" W x 4.5" H
    #4 is Spalted Birch 5.5" W x 5" H
    #5 is Spalted Maple 8.5" W x 1.5" H
    #6 is Cherry 11" W x 1.5" H
    #7 is Spalted Birch 10.5" w x 4.5" H

#1.jpg#2.jpg#3.jpg#4.jpg#5.jpg#6.jpg#7.jpg

Hi Barry,

Sorry I can't help with prices. I just wanted to say WOW those are some nice looking pieces. I think you will do well with them.

Steve

I agree some of those should sell well. And yes, prices vary based on both region and venue, so best if you check with some locals. If there is a turning club near ask them. I know from watch our club the members that sell the most, tend to price their wares way lower than I would because they are 'just hobbiests' and are just funding their next tool purchase.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Very nice pieces at any price.

Ball-park, $10 per inch is a rough figure for good turnings of sound wood, good quality in an average gallery. While local market conditions could double that, or cut the price in half. Price down for flaws (can't see any in your photos), up for expensive woods or a big "name" on the bottom.

Craft shows very so much. One craft show we do I've had people complain that our "2nds" (6 inch for $20) are over-priced, and they could get a bowl at Goodwill for $5. Another show, a mere 15 or so miles away I've had people not blink at prices well into three figures.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

"Ontario" is a pretty big place. You won't get the same in Thunder Bay as you might in Toronto.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Very nice pieces Barry
    If you get a chance to visit the market or art shows, check what others are getting. If your work and quality look similar then you can get an idea of how much.
    Pretty much what Ralph said is a good way to start. But if you think it should be more then price more. I get more for burls and spalted wood also.

Do not underprice. And if it is not selling, do not change the price while at the show. And do not negotiate. You'll here "well how much if I buy these three pieces?". Then they say okay I only want this one, how much.

I get the same prices at Art Shows as our local market. It may take a little while for people to get used to seeing you and your pieces. But you will eventually get return customers.
    It seems like I sell more of my art pieces at the "Market" than at art shows. But I have been doing this market for 8 or 9 years. So I have quite a few regular customers.
    People find that giving a large bowl or pepper mill at weddings goes over much better than a coffee maker.

Best of luck Barry
    Jerry
    "If a tree falls in the forrest, and no one is around, do you make a bowl out of it?" (Jerry Rhoads)

I generally charge about $4 per inch on a standard utility bowl. If it's a nice piece of wood or a blank that I purchased I might charge a little more.

I do a few shows each year (and have some items in a store) and that seems to be a good price for me.

I know others may charge $8-10 per inch but I don't think I would sell anything at that price...
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I've found that my wife is pretty good at helping me with prices. I ask her what would she pay for this?

I agree with other comments to not undersell yourself or cut the price so low "just to make a sale". You're doing yourself and other woodturners an injustice. They are handmade afterall and not of the same quality that you can buy at Walmart. If you do a show, keep your price the same throughout the entire show. Don't discount your prices on the last day ("10% off today only"). If it was worth $100 on the first day, it's still worth $100 on the last day.

Your pic #2 of the 11" Black Walnut plate - if you price it at $4 an inch that's $44, $10 an inch is $110. For a plate $110 is way too much, and for a plate $44 is a bit much also. If someone asks you to make a set of 4 plates, would you pay $176 for them? (4 x $44). I like making plates myself and 11" is a perfect dinner plate size. But I can only get maybe $25 each for them, which still means $100 for a set of 4.

Pic #7 of the 10.5" Spalted Birch bowl. Priced at $4 an inch is way too low IMO, and $10 an inch makes it $105 which is more in the ballpark but maybe on the high side. You might try $75 to $85 for a 10" bowl, which is still less than I think it should be, but it's easier for people to spend $80 than $100.

Pricing is tough when you first start selling. As others have said it varies by location and venue. A number that has been tossed around in previous threads about pricing is $5 per inch for utility bowls. I start there and then raise the price for unusual or purchased wood, great finishes, or art as opposed to utility. However I don't do a lot of selling so I don't know if that is good or bad pricing.

Another thing you can to is donate a piece or two to a charity auction. This is iffy as sometimes people will over paid to support the charity. Other times they have little interest and are bidding low to support the charity. Watch the audience and you get some idea of the value they place on your work.

Good luck those are nice looking pieces.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments and the advice. It's been very helpful,,,

Your best bet is to go to some of the venues you plan on attending and the check prices. You might find that some of those you thought were nice shows have prices that are not worth the effort to attend. Look for what is selling, just because they have it for sale doesn't mean they are selling. Some craftsman and artists are more into the show than selling their stuff, personally I think it is an ego thing, but it is none of my business. Some are there to sell, their prices will reflect that, it is their hobby, they have to move the merchandise so they can buy more material and supplies. Their prices usually will be lower than someone trying to make a living or supplement their income.

Prices from one show venue to another can vary a lot, my advice is pick the shows that the prices are more alike. If you sell something for $50 in one show and sell them in another for $75 and a customer sees this, the word can spread about the price differences. In other words be consistent with your prices. Prices can also vary by the number of like sellers. If there are several woodturners, the one with the lowest prices has an advantage, most of the customers don't have a clue as to quality, all they see is the dollar figure. You and I will see the difference in quality, but the buyer may not see it or care what the quality is.

I don't know where in Ontario you are, but I live in Meaford, around here for a salad bowl I may be able to get $10 per inch if it is a large one 12-15", I do knitting bowls for less than that 6-7" knitting bowl with the J cut for the yarn, $50.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Just a little past the "Best Before" date.

Thanks Marvin for the advice...I appreciate it.....Thanks Dirk....I'm probably 20 miles from you...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Rhoads View Post
    Very nice pieces Barry
    If you get a chance to visit the market or art shows, check what others are getting. If your work and quality look similar then you can get an idea of how much.

Do not underprice.
    Jerry
    "Don't underprice" I'd second that.

My wife is a part time artist (www.arwynn.com) - I've consistently pushed her to raise prices and its worked. Hasn't increases sales volume (which has been steady) but prices have gone up, so has total revenue and hence her desire to focus on quality not quantity. And the type of buyers is very different.

We both have full time jobs, hence don't depend her income from art. So we have some leeway on this.

For us its a matter of getting personal satisfaction, recognition and positive self esteem. Hey, its a hobby!
    If you discount til you sell, then at some point you end up walking away thinking: "I just made $5/hr? WTF?!?!? Why should I bother"
    That's is discouraging and to be avoided. I'd rather throw out the receipts forgot about pricing and just enjoy our hobbies.

I've dabbled in selling my work by piggy backing on her shows, in good venues.
    Hence I also push for high prices, try to get the "right" buyers. Admittedly I haven't sold a lot, so take this advice as just my opinion.

Woodturning is a bit unusual that those shows (yes, I live in Toronto).
    There's some positive recognition, because its different and people are tired of looking at avant garde paintings and sculptures.
    Conversely, there's also a lot of people who just don't get it and wont consider it to be art - personally, its not a segment I want to sell to.
    I've had comments like "Is that a chip bowl", which just makes me cringe. I can't sell a chip bowl for any price that makes my effort worthwhile (according to our goals above)

Consequently, I've consistently tried to make my pieces LESS functional and more artistic. Can't say I've found the sweet spot though. Yet!

I'm gambling that "artistic" pieces have a very different valuation formula than functional ones.
    Specifically, it becomes a luxury item where higher prices influence the buyer to value it more (ideally generate more volume)

Economists call it a "Giffen Good" = kinda like a BMW or a Harley.
    (apologies in advance...most of the Harley riders I see, work on Bay St. Sunday morning they strap on their leather chaps & vest to cruise to the Starbucks for a latte....)

Next year we plan to jointly hit The Artist Project. A booth costs about $3k for 4 days. So we either sell volume (not) or command high prices.
    The goal is to get the quality, design and appeal high enough to justify high prices and set future valuation on our work.
    It will be a challenge for sure.

Just my 2c
    Olaf
    Last edited by Olaf Vogel; 04-17-2015 at 11:07 AM.