Thread: home made bag hold down for cyclone ?

home made bag hold down for cyclone ?

anyone have an idea for a substitute for the bag hold down sold by oneida? It would be for a 55gal steel drum. Just thinkin i could come up with something for less than about 75 bucks?!?!

I used a sheet of 1/4" corrugated plastic like this but only paid $15 for it from Pro Hardware (Canada). I made two rings that fit inside to hold the plastic in place. A bit tricky getting it in the barrel until I started using an adjustable strap that I use to hold the plastic in a smaller radius and fit the bag over it before putting it in the barrel.

Great, and i can get that here too! Ever have a problem with it cutting the bag?

No. I did round the corners.

Hi Joe, I made two hoops of that steel banding used to keep things from falling off pallets.

I then welded two vertical pieces of banding so the two hoops were separated by the height of the drum.

I put the bag in, drop the hoop assembly in and it holds the bag open.

To remove it I lift the hoop out of the drum, then the bag of dust..............Regards, Rod.

Here is what I did.

The hardest part is making holes the right size for the HD dowels that were undersized. In the pic of the two circles, the small one is scrap, being used to try various methods of getting the right size hole. I finally drilled it one size small and used the spindle for my spindle sander to sand it out a bit.

I did not invent this, I saw it somewhere. The idea is that the whole thing slips right out of the drum when you are ready to empty it.

P6250049.jpg P6250050.jpg P6250051.jpg P6250048.jpg P6250052.jpg
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 04-17-2015 at 12:46 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Here is what I did.

The hardest part is making holes the right size for the HD dowels that were undersized. In the pic of the two circles, the small one is scrap, being used to try various methods of getting the right size hole. I finally drilled it one size small and used the spindle for my spindle sander to sand it out a bit.

I did not invent this, I saw it somewhere. The idea is that the whole thing slips right out of the drum when you are ready to empty it.
    I tried this. The whole thing twisted on me and broke apart. Maybe the dowels need to be recessed in the rings? I just screwed them on.

I made one out of sheet of PVC. It worked, but was really more trouble than it was worth.
    My other idea was to use a corrugated cardboard disk to hold the bottom down. That was a disaster.

The system on Grizzly cyclones works surprisingly well; but it would be a lot of work to duplicate yourself.

Those are 5/8" dowels, glued into full depth holes in 3/4" plywood. Not going anywhere, and it works just fine.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.