Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best finish for a Gramercy saw vise

I figured you just misread Noah's post.
    Just to be clear, I definitely think it will work; it just won't be as dark as on cast iron. But for rust prevention it is good; that De Buyers pan hasn't rusted once in ten years.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Blog Entries
    The vise, oil, and cold blue all arrived today! Woohoooo! First off- I read that this was made from 1/4" thick steel, but it didn't really register. There is really no describing how heavily built this thing is. I have a 4-ton floor jack that literally is less heavily built. Wow.

I will start a new thread when I do this so the process is not buried within this one. The vise came greased, which I did not consider, so a little work to be done disassembling and de-greasing before I get going.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I will start a new thread when I do this so the process is not buried within this one. The vise came greased, which I did not consider, so a little work to be done disassembling and de-greasing before I get going.
    Please do. My Gramercy vise is untreated and I'd like to intelligently change that.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Blog Entries
    She's in the oven now on baking number four. One more and she's done and I'll do a separate thread but run out and get some flax seed oil and a 2 oz. bottle of Brownell's 44/40 instant gun blue, because already this thing looks awesome and I even took some 800 grit to it to take out a few runs and the finish stayed put.