Thread: Maggi Radial Arm Saws

Maggi Radial Arm Saws

Anybody know anything about the Italian made Maggi RAS's. Every so often I see them for sale, at $400 or so, but I never heard of them. I do know about OMGA, and another whose name I cannot remember right now.

Just curious.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

No more than you probably already know from a google search. Looks like a broad line-up from 10" single-phase to monster 16" 3-phase machines. Maggi makes well-respected equipment. Dust collection and controls looks well thought out. They all seem to have power return on the saw head.

Maggi and Omga have around for year. I believe Maggi makes many of the power feeders which most get rebranded. Unless you work in industrial wood working you will not know these makers. I have catalog I got when I was a tech for a machinery dealer that lists a lot of German wood machinery makers that don't even sell in the U.S. I've been in the industry for 40 years and have seen and used machines you couldn't imagine. There was a machine that looked like a thickness planer but instead of a rotating cutter head was a scraper blade.

+1 for what Bill and Rick said.

Back in the Texas days, we used to sell Maggi stuff and I think we sold a few of their RAS' over the years. Just like the feeders: Not inexpensive (at least when new...) but then again, they seemed to last forever. Only three-phase, I think.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

The third brand I was thinking of is Griggio, seen a few for sale also.

As I said I was just curious about what level of quality Maggi was, I do not intend to buy one. I already have an Omga I don't use. The Maggi looks a lot like the Griggio, kind of like '80's DeWalt and Black & Decker. What got me curious was the fact that they are always less expensive than other Italian saws I have seen, and I wondered about the quality.

Thanks guys
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lizek View Post
    Maggi and Omga have around for year. I believe Maggi makes many of the power feeders which most get rebranded. Unless you work in industrial wood working you will not know these makers. I have catalog I got when I was a tech for a machinery dealer that lists a lot of German wood machinery makers that don't even sell in the U.S. I've been in the industry for 40 years and have seen and used machines you couldn't imagine. There was a machine that looked like a thickness planer but instead of a rotating cutter head was a scraper blade.
    Rick, curious how well that planer/scraper worked?