Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bit brace advice welcomed

Good leads to follow. Thanks, Nicholas.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Skillington View Post
    I'd be happy for elves to leave me a pristine North Bros. Yankee 2101A but, at $200+, that's not gonna happen.
    I understand that the later Stanley 2101's aren't as good but, by today's standards, is a nice clean one for about fifty bucks a good choice? If not, please suggest an alternative.
    Thanks, guys!
    I think it's worth it. I think I paid around $40 plus shipping for the Stanley/Yankee 2101A. Before that, I used a couple of 923s that I paid $5 for at a yard sale. They are OK, but the chuck on the 2101 is a lot, lot nicer. If you get a good one, it is a really nice tool to have.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Howard,

I have original North Brothers braces and the Stanley model. They seem equal in quality, but it is believed that the quality of the Stanley versions declined after 1958, see here: http://www.sydnassloot.com/Brace/Northb.htm

Anyway, they are really nice tools and a pleasure to work with, particularly the 2100/2101 chuck and it ratchet mechanism is unsurpassed in my opinion.

Good luck

Claus

Very helpful, Claus - thanks. That was what I had surmised might be the case. I have found an "early Stanley" 2101A that I think should still be pretty close to the character of the original tool.
    Now I guess I'd better find some brace bits...

Howard,
    If you live near Franklin, NC, you might want to try the Whistle Stop Mall flea market on US 421 south, and drive a few mills south to the Rabun county flea market in Georgia. It's not far from Franklin maybe fifteen miles or so. I find a lot of pretty good tools there.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe