Thread: Jet 16x42 set up, ballast box, cabinet, dust collector

Jet 16x42 set up, ballast box, cabinet, dust collector

Just thought I would share my set up of the new Jet. I'm sure there is 100 ways to set these up and I have seen others using pretty fancy wood and craftsmanship. This is what works for me with materials
    I had laying around except for the 2 x 12's. I do want you all to know I did spent more that 10 minutes making those oak knobs for the cabinet doors and even put a coat of lacquer on them!!
    The ballast box was filled with 2 layers of bricks totaling 330 lbs. The cabinet was a throw together for storage, but what I really wanted was the top where I can put tools when turning and sand paper when I'm
    finishing as I have been working off a table right behind me. The dust collector - I turned a 1" oak dowel to fit inside where the cage normally goes and used zip ties so that the collector will slide up and down
    depending on what your working on, like spindles. I'm just a weekend warrior right now, but If I get a chance to retire, probably will build something a little nicer looking. Wife thinks I should paint the cabinet
    portion white not a bad idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper

Looks good. I'd agree with your wife that painting it would be a good idea. I am curious though, does it get in the way when you are standing at the lathe turning? I think I'd be hitting my shin a lot on it.
    USMC '97-'01

3. That looks like it will certainly give you plenty of ballast, Steve! + 1 on painting it white........a white background is a plus when trying to turn anything with a ghost image or see fine details with finials & such. Nice looking setup.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I like the dowel for hanging the dust collector. Good idea.

Looks good to me. I love using what's available myself.
    excellent idea with the dust collector set up.

Rather than white, take the banjo with you and have the paint store color match it! Jeff Nichol posted a few years ago that Rustoleum "CANVAS WHITE" was a dead ringer. He used it on the steady rests that he sold to Jet owners.

I also would worry that the cabinet top would get in my way. My first cabinet had a sloping face and even it got in my way occasionally.

Another idea - our ex-president welded some thin channel iron to a steel tube or rod that fits where you have the dowel. A few holes lets you use the pin to set the extension and the flat channel holds a magnetic base lamp. I also have a dust collector hood screwed to the one he gave me. He made enough to give one to everyone in the club that also used a Jet 1642.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks for the replies! Agreed, will have to paint it white.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Petersen View Post
    Looks good. I'd agree with your wife that painting it would be a good idea. I am curious though, does it get in the way when you are standing at the lathe turning? I think I'd be hitting my shin a lot on it.
    No, doesn't get in the way at all for me. Biggest plus for me is having the top right there to set things on.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Rather than white, take the banjo with you and have the paint store color match it! Jeff Nichol posted a few years ago that Rustoleum "CANVAS WHITE" was a dead ringer. He used it on the steady rests that he sold to Jet owners.

I also would worry that the cabinet top would get in my way. My first cabinet had a sloping face and even it got in my way occasionally.

Another idea - our ex-president welded some thin channel iron to a steel tube or rod that fits where you have the dowel. A few holes lets you use the pin to set the extension and the flat channel holds a magnetic base lamp. I also have a dust collector hood screwed to the one he gave me. He made enough to give one to everyone in the club that also used a Jet 1642.
    Thanks for the tips on the paint color Thom, I will go ahead with the paint " Canvas White" or take the bango along for the match. The pin idea, I also thought about drilling into the dowel in locations as I had a larger square plate on the end of the DC hose. I had trouble clearing the bango so ended up with the smaller plate and just used the zip ties and happened to work out fine. I like the metal idea too. I have plenty of steel around and can weld here...thanks!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper

Looks good, Steve. Were you able to estimate how much weight you added with the bricks? Curious how they compare as ballast to using, say, 50-lb bags of masonry or play sand, which is probably the most popular alternative. Sand works great, but must be completely sealed in plastic within the ballast box to contain it.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Looks good, Steve. Were you able to estimate how much weight you added with the bricks? Curious how they compare as ballast to using, say, 50-lb bags of masonry or play sand, which is probably the most popular alternative. Sand works great, but must be completely sealed in plastic within the ballast box to contain it.
    Thank you David, I used 52 bricks all together to fill the box. Each brick was 6.35 lbs x 52 for a total of 330.2 lbs. I used bricks just because I have them available and free.