Thread: Paint/Primer

Paint/Primer

I have seen a few companies that have "Paint and Primer" on the can. This does not add up to me. The primer is in with the paint?

There are some products currently available that are labeled as you describe that have adhesion and coverage properties of a primer "built into" the paint formula. I'm not personally convinced this is the best idea, but I haven't every used them, either.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes, I've used the Behr paint a few times and liked it. It's easier than tinting a primer and dealing with 2 different cans. Depending on colors, I can usually do two coats instead of 3 for instance.

They have paint and primer spray paint too.

I consider it a gimmick.

Most painting people do (repainting over previously painted walls) rarely requires primer. When one does require a primer, such as with new drywall, for adhesion reasons, or to seal the surface, there's no way "paint and primer in one" is worth the risk, especially considering there are different primers available specifically formulated for each of the situations I mentioned.

Go to a professional paint store. They don't sell such an animal for a reason.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I consider it a gimmick.

Most painting people do (repainting over previously painted walls) rarely requires primer. When one does require a primer, such as with new drywall, for adhesion reasons, or to seal the surface, there's no way "paint and primer in one" is worth the risk, especially considering there are different primers available specifically formulated for each of the situations I mentioned.

Go to a professional paint store. They don't sell such an animal for a reason.
    I agree with Jason that for new drywall it's best to use a suitable primer prior to top coating.

Benjamin Moore Aura, which I consider to be pro grade, states "no primer needed" on their label, but I've pressed them into admitting it's not a good idea over new drywall.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Jim, most top of the line paints are what are called "self priming" these days. In other words, in most cases, no separate primer is necessary. But, if one is trying to apply a light colored paint over an existing dark color, it might be best to apply a primer or be prepared to apply an extra coat.
    Howie.........