Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huge maple bowl blanks. How to ship?

Huge maple bowl blanks. How to ship?

As you can see in the photo, I've got some huge bowl blanks.
    I just won't have the time to turn them. The big boys are maple, and weight in at about 170 pounds each. I want to put them up for sale, but not sure how I can ship them.

Anyone have some ideas on that? They are well beyond USPS limits. Is my only option to chainsaw them down, smaller, before I sell them?

temp.jpg

I am trying to ship a table and lamp. They are in a 40" x 40" x40" box made so a forklift can get under it. I said the box weighs 250# - probably less. I called a couple of trucking companies here locally. I got prices in the $500 - $600 range. I did require local delivery at the far end. Maybe this added $100. The cheapest I found was UPS at $400. The point is that you and I cannot afford to ship an item.

You will end up with a local sale. Perhaps contact some clubs in your area.

Won't do much for your really big pieces, but worth looking into FedEx OneRate for some pieces like 12" cubes and such. Pretty reasonable, similar to USPS Priority Flatrate, but some bigger sizes.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Bummer.
    Maybe I'll just chainsaw them down into smaller vase blanks....

I would think if you cut them into round blanks that they would be reduced in weight enough to be much easier to manage or ship. You can either wax or seal up with plastic wrap to prevent checking until the recipient is able to turn them. I prefer plastic wrap or a large plastic bag since I dislike the wax getting on my floor and making it slick when I turn the wax off of blanks.
    Jack

I think it would be easier to sell smaller pieces, and ship them too.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

The thing about wood is you just can't tell what is inside a bowl blank. That makes paying for shipping a real crap shoot. Besides, unless you coat the blanks with wax, they will degrade quickly into firewood. Two thoughts, try Craig's List for local pick up or maybe you want to become a hero to your local turners club and give them away. I guarantee you'll make a lot of friends.By the way, nice parallel cuts on those blanks.

Most turners who turn big wood, have means of getting it local. They also don't want to pay for the shipping. Now if that was burl, we wood be talking a different story. Good Luck on the shipping.

Probably difficult to sell for anything other than fire wood. The one on the tailgate looks like it has a big crack coming off the pith down through most of the piece. The problem with using a bandsaw mill to cut them up it that you can't selectively cut each round. They are bigger than most people want.

robo hippy

If you have one buyer who will take the lot, then toss em on a skid and freight the whole thing.
    but even that will run $300+, so most people wont pay that and might not be worth your time & effort.

I've played with that idea before, but concluded that it has be to pretty valuable wood, available real cheap to make the shipping worth while.
    So then I'd receive 1000# of wood, turn it into 100# of finished product. sigh...

Unfortunately, you're about 9 hrs away, or I might volunteer to pick them up with my trailer
    Oh wait, I still have a few 1000 lbs of maple blanks that are thawing out.

Its a shame to let it go to waste though..

I won't let it go to waste.
    I've already got them all Anchorsealed.
    I'm leaning towards chainsawing them down, to fit in 12" x 12" x 8" boxes.

I'd rough out and sell the rough outs. You'll save on shipping, and can charge a little more premium.

I think UPS has a 150lb limit also.

LTL will cost you a lot too.

I'd do Craigslist for local pickup or rough them out.

From the left side of my brain...

Now about turning legs, sticking them on the bottom and making them into end tables / coffee tables.
    Similar to this: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/001...rande.jpg?4481

You might be able to sell them for a lot more $$$

I purchase 99% of my blanks - the vast majority online. Most of them are 12x12x4 and sometimes 12x12x5. I cut them in quarters and tum hollow forms that wind up being about 5.5" in diameter, which I think is a popular size. The folks from which I have purchased, advertise free shipping. They merely put the blanks in a USPS flat rate box. I buy mostly cherry and ambrosia maple. A 12x12x5 blank of cherry sells for $50. Perhaps that pricing will help you gauge the profitability of doing it in this manner.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

palletize and send via freight if you can find a buyer.

Fastenal has reasonably price third party logistics:
    https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/third...tics-%283pl%29