Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockwell 34-400 Question

Rockwell 34-400 Question

I am looking at picking up a saw as my current one is less than good (cheap Craftsman 137 model saw). The one I am looking at is a Rockwell 34-400 that is currently in use and in great shape.

With a 2HP motor, 52" fence, and a large extension table would it be worth $225 since it does not really need any work? From the research I have done, it looks to be a good deal (even if I have to drive the 2 hours one way to get it). I have attached the picture that was sent to me of the setup.

Is there anything I need to be worried about with this saw? I am pretty new to wood working and want to get started with decent tools.

Thanks,

David
    IMG_20150411_142343.jpg

The Unifence is probably worth close to the asking price.

Buy it............
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I don't even need another table saw but i'd jump all over that one for that price.

If it ever needs repair, it's fixable.
    Be aware, it looks like a right tilt, if that matters to you.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The right tilt and Unifence are not the ideal combination (virtually every Unisaw from the 1980's on has that exact same combination) but it gets the work done. To make safe bevel cuts, you need to move the hi-lo fence from the left side to the right. Everybody does it all the time ... but it takes a few minutes and during those few minutes you think about how nice it would be to have a fence that didn't require doing that.

Those were good little saws. If you extend the rail a little farther left, you can swap the fence to the other side and cut bevels from the left. Dave

That saw is well worth the money..and the long ride. Buy it. I paid almost that much for just the Unifence used. Some people don't like the Unifence or a right tilt saw. If you put the Unifence and the work on the left side of the blade (it's easily reversible) the blade will tilt away from the fence and will cut safely the same as a left tilt saw. I switch mine back and forth quite often and it's not a problem. You can also slide the fence extrusion back toward you to obtain a "short fence" function and tip the extrusion 90 degrees for high or low fence height. These features are not available on any other fence that I know of. I used a left tilt saw once for 6 months.... and I didn't like it. I've been using right tilt saws for over 50 years and have never felt the need for left tilt. Maybe if all I ever used was left tilt I would feel that left tilt was best, but I guess I'm a right tilt guy and have never found an advantage of left tilt over right tilt saws, if you use the saw and fence properly ie. don't cut bevels while trapping the stock between the fence and the blade - Instead, move the fence to the left of the blade to cut the bevel on a right tilt saw. You could also set the extension table up on the left side of the saw and work from the left side all the time. When doing this the right tilt blade would then always tilt away from the fence, which is what the proponents of left tilt want to accomplish. To me, it's a personal preference. Buy the saw. It's a good deal. Then get used to how it works or set it up differently to suit how you want to work.

Charley

Looks exactly like the one I had for 30 years. Great little saw. Yes...buy it!
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Thanks guys. I am trying to get the logistics figured out now. I may have to build a mobile base for this for now (small garage area for tools) until I get more space but that is not a big deal since I have a welder. I may come back for some tips on it once I get it (adjustment and such).

11. David,
    Run, don't walk. Get it before someone else does.

I have it set up to pick it up on Wednesday or Thursday and he said he would hold it until then. Got the wife talked into it as she can go to the outlet malls in OKC .

Quote Originally Posted by David Borg View Post
    I have it set up to pick it up on Wednesday or Thursday and he said he would hold it until then. Got the wife talked into it as she can go to the outlet malls in OKC .
    Awesome. Be sure to plan on a decent blade or two for it, and get the alignment spot on.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

rockwell 34-400

Quote Originally Posted by David Borg View Post
    I am looking at picking up a saw as my current one is less than good (cheap Craftsman 137 model saw). The one I am looking at is a Rockwell 34-400 that is currently in use and in great shape.

With a 2HP motor, 52" fence, and a large extension table would it be worth $225 since it does not really need any work? From the research I have done, it looks to be a good deal (even if I have to drive the 2 hours one way to get it). I have attached the picture that was sent to me of the setup.

Is there anything I need to be worried about with this saw? I am pretty new to wood working and want to get started with decent tools.

Thanks,

David
    IMG_20150411_142343.jpg
    I've owned a rockwell 34-400 for over 30 years, and as others have noted, it is a great saw. One thing to be aware of, however, is that since the saw is probably over 50 years old, its arbor bearing may be in mediocre shape. I replaced my bearing a couple of years ago, and it is non-trivial to do. The problem is that rockwell used what is called a water pump bearing. They are still available (from NGK), but after you get one you'll need a machinist to thread one end of it for the blade bolt, and cut a slot in the other side for the pulley. (The bearing and the axle are sold as one piece.) If the bearing has never been replaced, then this might be a consideration. There is more info on this bearing replacement on the OWWM website.
    bob

Buy the saw. The Unifence is an awesome fence and worth the asking price for the whole shebang. If the saw ever fails the fence would be a good swap onto a new Grizzly or similar. I love my used bargain Rockwell. I will cry the day its bearings burn up.

What is the OWWM website? New here and to woodworking forums. I've been shopless for years but I'm baaaack.