Thread: Well I decided on a plow plane and I must say I'm impressed with Veritas

Well I decided on a plow plane and I must say I'm impressed with Veritas

I agonized over the Stanley 45 vs veritas plow plane, I picked up a 21piece set of blades for the stanley 45 at a garage sale for 5 bucks since they didn't know what they had. I never could find a decent vintage stanley with all of the pieces and in decent shape for a reasonable price so I broke down and got the veritas. I wanted to use my budget on some other items but some things have come up that pushed the projects this is needed for to the front of the line. I'll post pics later once completed.

I picked up the conversion fence for it as well to use wider blades, though I didn't get the full set of blades as that blows out the budget and with everything going on right now I'm having to be a bit more careful.

First Impressions:
    Build quality is amazing, well put together well designed piece that's in great shape. Fence moves out evenly with virtually no play in it. I felt very comfortable that the fence was always parallel when I slide it out. The blade shipped very sharp out of the box. I did some test cuts and it cut just fine, I did later hone it on an 8000 grit stone and its now perfect. I've never been a fan of the honing to 15k higher, IMHO from the testing I've done with knives there's no benefit above about 6-8k other than ego.

I've got a few projects in mind to use this for:
    1. I'm making a display case for two Disston hand saws.
    2. I'm going to use it to make a picture frame for mother's day. I'm going to make more than 1 if time permits.

If anyone is considering buying one of these don't hesitate do it they are a great tool that's outstanding. Veritas/leevalley shipped quickly and was prompt in answering any questions I had. Now to save up some cash for some of the other blades for it.

Im actually engaged in a discussion about this plane in a separate thread right now but I did want to echo your comments about the plow plane. It is a wonderfully made tool and I hope to pick up the wide blade conversion kit one of these days myself. Enjoy!

I recently snagged the Record 044 on eBay. However, I had just about pulled the trigger on the Veritas, before I came across the Record. The Veritas looks like an excellent plane, and I've read nothing but good things about it while doing research on plough planes. I imagine you'll love using it. Can't wait to see what you'll make with it! Hopefully you'll post some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schubert View Post
    I recently snagged the Record 044 on eBay. However, I had just about pulled the trigger on the Veritas, before I came across the Record. The Veritas looks like an excellent plane, and I've read nothing but good things about it while doing research on plough planes. I imagine you'll love using it. Can't wait to see what you'll make with it! Hopefully you'll post some pictures.
    Just a few projects right now, I'm a knife maker most of the time but woodworking is an interest as well, goes hand in hand with knife making in some ways. I'm trying to make a few picture frames by hand for the wife for mother's day. I wanted to do some inlay work with the frames, nothing fancy in the least.

Blog Entries
    There are some big advantages to buying a new Veritas over trying to find an old used plane that has all of its parts or hasn't been abused.

Have you tried any of the Stanley blades in the Vertas?

There are many folks who would like to hear how that goes. Most likely pictures would also be helpful.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    There are some big advantages to buying a new Veritas over trying to find an old used plane that has all of its parts or hasn't been abused.

Have you tried any of the Stanley blades in the Vertas?

There are many folks who would like to hear how that goes. Most likely pictures would also be helpful.

jtk
    They should work, though the plane I purchased has the adjustment notch on the other side of the blade so I'll need to notch them myself for use but other than that they should work just fine. I do intend to try that this weekend and I'll post pics.

Blog Entries
    I am holding my cart open right now trying to decide if I want to spring for one during the free shipping. If I didn't already have a router plane I would probably be right on it. Also I spent quite a bit this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    ... Also I spent quite a bit this month.
    Welcome to the club, sir...

Plow plane is sweet, plug and play, no tweaking necessary. It comes in handy for small rabbets as well if you pr-escore first with a marking gage. I use it that way with plywood panels to make them fit in the groove since plywood is always some odd thickness.

I did the same thing, Mark. Bought the Veritas about a year ago after buying & trying a Stanley #51. The Stanley is a fine old worker but the Veritas is a dream. I sprang for the conversion and all the blades.....sharpened them after opening and now just look for more projects to use it on. One problem that I encountered was the depth stop. Operator error caused me to continue to over tighten the brass knob until it broke...I emailed Lee Valley and they called the next morning and had one in the mail (free) immediately. There is really no need to bear down on the plane, which is what I was doing, and causing the depth stop to slip. Customer service suggested using sand paper on the depth stop bar...which I did and have not had any slippage since.
    Go ahead and spring for the blades.....you'll be glad you did.
    Don

I bought one about this time last year - it's a great tool. Glad you like yours!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”