Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Score!!! I think?

Score!!! I think?

Well today I "ran into" an estate sale as I was running errands. Decided to check it out for hand tools. This is whatI picked in the condition that I bought them at. The planes are now undergoing initial cleanup in WD-40. There is a fair amount of rust, but the base metal is very sound with hardly any rust pitting. The block plane is a Stanley & at this time I don't know what make the other is. If any of you know, plwease letme know. I paid atotal of $3.00 for the both of these. Yes that number is correct - three dollars!

The wood measures 4" x 10" x 6' 6" each. They are "very old", well aged as the previous owner had kept it in his shed for many, many years & very heavy. There are some cracks, some sand on the surfaces (that I hosed off) & one has a couple nails in it that I'll remove. One is hickory, the other is walnut. I paid atotal of $12 for the both of them, youp that'd twelve dollars.

I'm excited about cleaning up the planes & wood & processing them through my shop to see what is there.

Picctures of the wood is in the next post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pictures of the wood:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fifteen bucks?

You suck.

Where is the mystery 2C?

Wrong thread, maybe?

When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Guess I'm older school than I thought. Why do I suck & I don't follow with the "mystery 2C"?

Since I have so little experience with planes, compared to most of you woodworkers, I'm still wondering what make the larger plane is? No brand name on the tool. Any ideas?

"You suck" is a backhanded compliment; it is not an insult.

Looks like a Sargent made #3 size bench plane....maybe a #408???

Al,

+1 what Jim and Patrick said. As Patrick hinted at, Jim's comment is the traditional greeting on this bulletin board when someone does a post like you did where it appears that they came away with a very nice find for very little money. I don't know how it got started here, but on this board it is the equivalent of saying "wow, you did really well, great job!"

Stew

You Suck Can't buy 2ft of walnut that thick for $15 much less the rest of the stuff. I repeat you suck

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Thanks Patrick!

Ho Boy! Now I feel better. Gotta get with the lingo.

I have to finish up a cutting board(s) project, then it's onto the thickness planer to skim down the timber. I'm anxious to see what lies below. My wife thinks I'm crazy for buying these "rotted pieces of wood", but hopefully I know better. They each weigh a ton; must weigh 30-40 lbs. each.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Launier View Post
    Ho Boy! Now I feel better. Gotta get with the lingo.
    Now you are going to be waiting on the edge of your seat for the opportunity to throw a "you suck!" back at someone else! Haha! You wait and see...

Hi Al,

If the lumber looks good after you run it through the planer, please post a photo. Have you done any thinking about potential projects to use the lumber in?

Regards,

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Al Launier View Post
    I don't follow with the "mystery 2C"?
    There was a thread some weeks back started by a guy that had been given a 2C by someone that had no idea what it was worth, which stirred up a low-octane debate/discussion. Bit of an obscure inside reference/joke.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post

Often stated more succinctly by this "one picture worth a thousand words".

You Suck - Bill Murray.jpg