Thread: Grizzly bandsaws G0555LANV vs. G0555X

Grizzly bandsaws G0555LANV vs. G0555X

Need to replace my aging AMT bandsaw. The LANV is on sale for $545. The 0555X is $894. including shipping. From the specs published the only difference seems to be the table size. LANV is 14 by 14, while 0555X is 14 by 20 1/2.

Am I missing something fundamental that explains a $350. gap between almost identical machines?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

If it was me, I'd buy a Rikon 1-325 for about the same pric as the 0555X. IMHO a much better saw.

Blog Entries
    The LANX has less power as well. I would (and still do) want more power in a bandsaw and I have a 2HP machine. The Rikon does get good ratings and I believe I read that they have resolved their fussy guide problems from past days. Once you start pushing $1000 the Grizzly G0513 series has to come under consideration. Lots of happy 513 owners out there.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

G0555LANV has a 1 HP motor and an open stand. G0555X has a 1-1/2 HP motor and a closed stand in addition to the larger table. If you plan to do any resawing, the extra 1/2 HP will be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sandman View Post
    G0555LANV has a 1 HP motor and an open stand. G0555X has a 1-1/2 HP motor and a closed stand in addition to the larger table. If you plan to do any resawing, the extra 1/2 HP will be very useful.
    The open vs. closed stand is cosmetic to me. Must say I didn't notice the 1/2 HP difference. Thanks for catching that.
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Once you start pushing $1000 the Grizzly G0513 series has to come under consideration. Lots of happy 513 owners out there.
    I'd like to keep as far away from $1,000. as I can!
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

I have the G0555LANV. It's a good lookin saw.

I set it up a few months ago. I put it together, set it up, cut my first board, and INSTANTLY wished I had gotten a much bigger saw.

Just for fun, I tried to resaw a pine 2x6 today. It couldn't do it.

I have the G0555LANV and re-saw red oak blocks almost every day with it. Blocks are 6x6, 6x8, etc. The blade that comes with this saw is really bad, I use Timber Wolf Blades in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch. Half inch blades are used for re-saw. I would not use a 3/4 blade on any 14 inch bandsaw regardless of brand. I also have a small (old) Powermatic Bandsaw that I use a 1/8 blade on. I also cut veneers with G0555LANV with no problems as small as 1/8 and 1/16. From my experiences any 14 inch bandsaw has to have a really good sharp blade to do what you need it to do .

9. Quote Originally Posted by Nick Stokes View Post
    Just for fun, I tried to resaw a pine 2x6 today. It couldn't do it.
    You really need a better blade. You should be able to resaw that without any problems if using a high quality blade.

Bit the bullet and ordered the 2HP 0513ANV. Only pass this way once, might as well enjoy it. Also ordered some TImberwolf blades. Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.

Shiraz, it's been 10 minutes, where's my machine??
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

I had trouble with crooked welds and inconsistent set of the teeth of a Timberwolf resaw blade. A friend of mine who bought a Timberwolf resaw blade at about the same time (~ a year ago) had the same problems along with cracks in the gullets of the teeth. His blade was replaced under warranty. I just threw mine away. They have probably gotten their manufacturing process straightened out but I don't plan on finding out. I switched to a Woodslicer from Highland Woodworking. It is a thinner blade with a narrower kerf and the resawn surface is smoother. I can't say anything about durability yet. If you have trouble with your blade, you might try them out.

Congratulations on your choice of a new bandsaw. That model has a great reputation and is praised by all of the owners who posted threads that I have read.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 04-19-2015 at 5:57 PM.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mackell View Post
    Shiraz, it's been 10 minutes, where's my machine??
    Sorry - shipping department closed on Sundays

Good choice and thanks for the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    You really need a better blade. You should be able to resaw that without any problems if using a high quality blade.
    I ordered a new Timberwolf 1/2" 3tpi today.

I'll let you know how much it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Stokes View Post
    I ordered a new Timberwolf 1/2" 3tpi today.

I'll let you know how much it helps.
    WOW. I never realized. This new blade DEVOURS anything I can put in front of it... The stock blade made the saw feel like a toy...

If you are considering this saw, I wouldn't even install the stock blade... order a real blade and start off right.

Ordered 4/19, received 4/23. Excellent condition. Now to complete the uncrating and convert to 120V.
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME