Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can I use to mark my turnings that doesn't smear when the finish is applied?

What can I use to mark my turnings that doesn't smear when the finish is applied?

I've tried ballpoint, sharpies and pencils. The only thing that didn't smear when I put the finish on was the pencil but I have my doubts of it's permanence and it doesn't show up well on darker wood. I don't do enough to make it worthwhile buying a woodburner and with the cheap ones the tip is to far away to give me good control. Any ideas on something that won't smear when I apply finish?
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Ask one of our laser engravers here to make you some laser engraved medallion inserts. You use a forsner bit to drill a perfect hole for the insert and set them in with a drop of glue. You can have your custom shop logo in the medallion as well, even your signature is easy to add.

Keith, that's an idea I've never seen before on this forum. Refreshing. I would have thought it too expensive.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

4. I have used sharpies in the past.........if you let them dry and cure overnight, they usually will allow for wipe on poly or an oil finish, but I have changed to use a burning pen to sign my name, etc........it works much better and you won't have to worry with it fading over time.

I use the Colwood cub writer and a fine tipped pen.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I use an archival ink pen - available at most art/crafts stores. Used on bare wood, it only takes a couple of seconds to dry and then the finish of your choice can be applied without smearing. I use wipe-on poly and have never had a problem.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Is there a reason that you don't sign the work after the finish is applied? I finish with lacquer and sign before I ship.

Perry

Get an inexpensive wood burning pen, once you learn what the best temp setting is you can do a nice looking signature.

I also like the idea of having some medallions done up by one of the engraver guys here.

Tim

I just started using india ink with a dip pen. Takes a little practice but looks pretty nice once you get the swing of it. I'd considered branding but its nice to note the year and wood species as well so this gives a bit of options (as well as easy ability to adjust size, etc..). Requires a SMOOTH surface with the dip pen so I've been putting either signing after finishing or after the first couple coats with a wipe coat on top. Its pretty permanent as well, so you want to make sure you've got the hand of it down before you put the pen to the work.

I had a similar situation recently when turning a pair of Indian Clubs out of Ash as exercise aids for my son-in-law's Physical Therapy clinic. They were so plain I decided to embellish them with some color. After turning a sample piece I added colored bands using 1) Tombow markers (Craft Supplies), 2)Pigma Archival Ink pens (forgot where they came from), and 3) Sharpies from Ultra Fine Point to the regular big size with the following results:
    They all failed, and they all worked perfectly finishing with wop. The significant factor between success and failure was nothing but time, as many have already stated. It appears that almost anything can be used and preserved if applied to the bare wood and allowed a day or two to cure (maybe less but I didn't want to risk the clubs by finish coating too quickly). Let me add that I also used black for the signature: same result. Hope this is helpful.
    Will Turn for Coffee

Thanks for the ideas. The medallion insert I figured would be to expensive going by my local engraver. She charges me $20 per pen. Since I generally only get 1 pen done at a time for gifts it's still cheaper than paying shipping both ways for someone cheaper. It did give me an idea though, I do waterslide decals on some of the pens so I could likely do the same for bowls etc. It would be even easier as I would be dealing with a flat surface. i will give the sharpie another try and let it dry a day or two before I put the finish on. I'll also look for an archival ink pen the next time I get to the nearest craft store.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Use an engraver, Dremel makes one, and fill with a Lacquer Stik, after you have finished otherwise it will fill the grain. http://www.markal.com/solid-paint-markers/lacquer-stik/
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

+1 on the engraver. I've been using a dremel engraver to sign everything for since I started turning (a while ago). I take the point out and sharpen it on the grinder to a long thin point. Works very well. On darker woods, a little liming wax helps pop the signature.

I've just started to use my color laser printer to print the information I want in the format I want on clear "water-slide" decal paper. This is then applied to the bottom of the turning after the first coat or two of spray lacquer, and after a brief drying period,
    covered with additional coats of spray on lacquer. Haven't tried other finishes, but have had no issues so far.

14. at $20 per pen, I can't imagine her medallions would be cheap.

that adds up very quickly and you could have ended up buying a cheap wood burner in the long run.

you could make your own burner too: http://www.woodturnersresource.com/e...oodBurner.html

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    Keith, that's an idea I've never seen before on this forum. Refreshing. I would have thought it too expensive.
    Its been awhile but we have had several of our engravers offer custom medallions here. I don't remember the prices that were quoted but I recall that they were very affordable, something in the neighborhood of a buck each but don't quote me on that as my memory is not what it used to be. There should be a number of threads in our archives with plenty of pictures and prices.

A request in our Classifieds Forum should yield a long list of our Members who would be interested in providing custom medallions, you can also search the Friends of The Creek Directory for Laser Engravers who provide the service. Although there are several other techniques available laser engraved medallions are the best quality and provide options that the others don't.

I made some for Ken Salisbury back in the day and I have been working on two new very detailed designs for our Moderators for over a year but haven't found the time to finish them.

I found some links:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ight=medallion

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/p...oodworker.aspx

Here is a link to a thread that is currently active on a similar subject.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ided-engraving

There are more pictures here but they were added to posts without tags and they often don't use the term medallion, sometimes they are called coins, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-19-2015 at 7:51 AM.