Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What can I use to mark my turnings that doesn't smear when the finish is applied?

Perry, I found that as long as I sign the bare wood, nothing smears the archival ink. I have had mixed results when signing over a poly finish.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I think no matter that you use, one option is to sign, (I used a sharpie) then spray one or 2 light coats of clear lacquer over the signature, hat dries right away and puts a seal coat. Then I followed up with either a wipe on poly or I will spray use a lacquer finish. The 2 shots of lacquer will seal the deal for that combo. With oil finishes Steve's archival ink method sounds like the ticket.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    I use an archival ink pen - available at most art/crafts stores. Used on bare wood, it only takes a couple of seconds to dry and then the finish of your choice can be applied without smearing. I use wipe-on poly and have never had a problem.
    Steve, I missed this post. Can you sign with this ink and then brush on a coat lacquer without smear? I would be very interested in this method if that works.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper

Ron Brown is selling them now.
    Larry

I have used this method on every finish I have used (Danish Oil, Antique Oil, Walnut Oil, Wipe-On Poly, Brush on Lacquer, De-waxed Shellac) and it works with them all. The key is it needs to be written on bare wood and you only have to wait a second or two for it to dry before applying finish.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

From coolhammer beeswax does not smear sharpies on tops. HG

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    I use an archival ink pen - available at most art/crafts stores. Used on bare wood, it only takes a couple of seconds to dry and then the finish of your choice can be applied without smearing. I use wipe-on poly and have never had a problem.
    +1 for an archival pen, I use the same and always try to remember to do it on the bare wood.
    Last edited by James Combs; 04-19-2015 at 5:34 PM.

"The best things in life are not things."

The archival pens can be purchased at either Hobby Lobby or Michael's. I use them on fresh wood. Have not had any luck trying to sign once I have put a finish on the wood.

As far as paying $20 to get your pens engraved, I use the local vocational school which has a laser engraver. She charges me a dollor a pen. I usually give her more than that since it all goes to their TSA club.

I had a wood burner made years ago and put it on most of my woodwork projects.

John T.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll look for an archival pen next time I go to Chatham at Michaels. If I can ever find a logo that I like (I am really challenged when it comes to artwork or graphics) I'll give the waterslide decal a try. I don't do enough bowls and things like that to make it worth while getting medallions made and usually it is given away so keeping costs down would be a factor.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

11. archival ink works fine and you don't have to go far to find them, I get mine at the local drugstore.

Picked up a couple pens with archival ink at Michaels yesterday and tested this morning on some scrap wood. Immediately applied finish and no smearing thanks.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project