Thread: Thomas Vacuum Pump... Anyone with Experience??

Thomas Vacuum Pump... Anyone with Experience??

Looking for a Vacuum for Turning Chuck.

http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...M-120-VAC.html

The thomas looks mighty cheap... even cheaper than the JT Pump.

Does anyone have experience with the Thomas Pump?
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

Adrian - That's the pump I bought a couple of years ago. It has served me well and I have had no problems.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I've got a Thomas Reichle (sp?) rocking piston type vacuum pump that I bought used on Ebay for a song and a dance about 7 years ago. I used it for vacuum chucking on a jet 1642, and it worked just fine. It's nice and relatively quiet and dependably gets me up to 20 - 22 inches of vacuum. When I upgraded my lathe, I also found a great deal on a new, surplus inventory Gast pump. That now drives the chucks on my lathe. The Thomas is still in use attached to the Woodcut ProMount carving stand I use to hold stuff while I work it over on the bench.
    I had my doubts about the Thomas - it came looking like it had seen really hard use. I think it was used as an aerator for a pond; didn't bother to ask what the pond was used for...but it just keeps on running. I think it cost me $35 when I got it - with the shipping from Texas.

Are you building the EVS? I bought a different pump from him but I would not hesitate to buy whatever Joe offers. He has impressed me as thorough and honest (and with his priorities in the right place!)

JKJ

adrian, keep an eye on craigslist for vacuum pumps, I got mine cheap there. Search for 'gast pump' 'vacuum pump' and such,
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Google frugal vacuum pumps. One of the Chicago woodturner said sells a whole vacuum kit. He advertises in the AAW magazine. Our club and members have about six in use and they love them!
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Adrian, that pump (and source) you linked to is a workhorse and a very good value for vacuum chucking and pressing. It is a rebuilt commercial-duty pump that Joe Gorleski (Joe Woodworker) has been selling for several years. I built my vacuum chucking system three years ago with that pump and several other components from Joe and have been well pleased with it. Joe's price has ticked up recently, but still well worth it, IMO.

I have one that I got from theFrugal Vacuum Pump guy. Works great and is very quiet. I recently saw an air compressor that used a pump very similar to the Thomas pump(California Air Supply). I purchased one of their compressors(around $225 with shipping) and converted it to a vacuum pump. It only has a 75% duty cycle as opposed to the 100% duty cycle of the Thomas pump. I also have a Gast 522 and a Gast 523. I like to have backups on hand. Good luck with your choice.
    Joe