Thread: Piddling?

Piddling?

Sometimes I just come down here and piddle-a lot

Like today, I worked on this hope chest about an hour, and did other stuff about 5 hours.

I guess however one chooses to relax is what's important, right?

Just about anything is better than the deadly recliner.....Best use of time would be tagging along with my wife or making conversation with my mother in law.

I have often felt like delaying cutting wood, cause it can be mentally tiring. Oh-and I dread soooo much those mistakes.

How many folks just piddle and goof off? Should I qualify that and say that this is "only" a hobby, on the weekends?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I definitely put off cutting wood at times. I think that it is safer for me and the wood to not do anything where I might make mistakes if I am tired or upset. I use those times for cleaning or putting things away. Sometimes I just want to think some more about what I am going to do. I does bug me when I carefully plan something, even write out the steps and then skip something when I am making parts.

Part of the woodworking thing for me is just being in the shop. Sometimes I do actual woodworking and other times just puddle around. Maybe, pick up a bit or decide to try making a new wood joint just for the fun of it. I build what I want on my own schedule. Sometimes I will sharpen a chisel or make a small toy car. I love it that way as woodworking is a hobby for me.

I make mistakes at times and OK not happy but just remake a piece.

Piddling is all I've gotten done in the woodshop for a year now, to be honest. I was actually trying to continue the trend today, but messed it up.

Seems like I'm piddling all the time lately, I'm getting lazy and don't like it, I have to force myself to do things . I have a few laser projects and a woodworking project but am having a hard time motivating myself to get going.I have copd and breathing is really hard when I try to do stuff, somedays I get going and other days I don't. Its just so frustrating not being able to move and do the things I want. I did make a new holster today, made a dump run, and a few chores but really only a 10th of what I should do. A lot of the time Its like if I don't have to do it I don't. The easiest and most relaxing thing for me is to get on my bike and just go riding. Open my mouth and force feed me air LOL .
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    Sometimes I just come down here and piddle-a lot
    How old must one be to understand that verb? My father often talked about "piddling around", but the kids I grew up with didn't use it.

Older then DIRT

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    How old must one be to understand that verb? My father often talked about "piddling around", but the kids I grew up with didn't use it.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I'm just 57
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Make a list of what you want to make.

Mine includes anything that has particle board in the composition.

Don't make furniture for kids that will last a lifetime -
    until they get their own house.

I was confused by the thread title... Piddle(ing) is what our puppy did on the carpet.

We call this "puttering" (or that's what my grandfathers always called it) and now I observe that fine family tradition occasionally as well. I Usually do it at least one Saturday a month. I do one little task, get sidetracked on another which leads to something else and never get to working on the project I thought I'd work on. End of the day i didn't do much of anything but I didn't sit around at all either.

Big projects in the shop sometimes makes it feel like work which isn't fun. When I think I HAVE to do something I'm not as happy. Deadlines stink, I have enough of those at my real job. Stuff gets done when it gets done and I have moved to doing more small projects that I can finish in a few weekends as those seem to be the most enjoyable to me.

It's your free time. Do what you want with it and makes you happy.

First, how do you all do that double reply, like from diffo folks?

Jim-I am missing something here.....what's up with particle board. I dont' know very much at all, I guess. I thought it is mostly used for subfloors, sub this and that??

Mike-Yes, I hate to feel pressure down here.

It is fairly reliable that when I hit the office in the AM, I will actually glimpse the virtue of interacting with other folks-that is after 2 days of no stimulus or demands.

Puttering is cool--sounds kinda like golf though, which is a turn-off.

Our 17 yr old cat piddled some blood in the hallway yesterday. Just spent ~$280 at Dr. F with her. She has had a good life. I think her days are numbered though. I have gone through probably 30 different flavors of grain free cat food (canned, of course) to find 6 that she likes. Bubbles. Daddy's girl.
    David

Blog Entries
    Piddling in the shop is one of my favorite past-times.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

David, I often putter/piddle around too. I work on a project for a couple weekends, then set it aside and make something for the shop itself, then work on the project, then come sit in the shop and just read a WW book or magazine (or SMC). If I HAVE to produce on a schedule, it's no longer a hobby - it's a second job.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    Piddling in the shop is one of my favorite past-times.
    I do my piddling outside the shop when the neighbours are not watching

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berrevoets View Post
    I was confused by the thread title... Piddle(ing) is what our puppy did on the carpet.

We call this "puttering" (or that's what my grandfathers always called it) and now I observe that fine family tradition occasionally as well.
    +1.. I was going to recommend a pair of depends or that you install a urinal in the shop if you are inclined to work and hold it until you piddle, just sayin.