Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prewar Stanley 4-1/2 planes

Prewar Stanley 4-1/2 planes

Well, I did not buy the WR yet, but I placed bids on a couple Stanleys, and it seems those buying on eBay are willing to bid up to about $95.

Not me, or not yet, at least. I set my bids at $78.

A quick search turns this up:

One for $150 on Jon Zimmer.

A site called Patented Antiques has no 4-1/2 Stanleys, but some Bedrocks at near $300 to $450. I ain't a collector.

Old Tools has one for $115 and another one for $225.
    Last edited by Gene Davis; 04-19-2015 at 2:21 PM.

For a garden variety block plane? That's nuts.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Ebay can go nuts sometimes. I'd recommend becoming a contributer here (for $6). Then you'll be able to post a Want To Buy add in the classifieds. I'm sure there are more then a few spare smoothers and blocks laying around in folks shops that they'd be willing to part with for a much fairer price...as a bonus if they were in one of our shops there's a good chance they are already tuned up. $6 gives you access to the classifieds for a year...couldn't hurt to try.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Are you looking for a 9 1/2 (block plane) or a 4 1/2 (smoother)? A decent 4 1/2 will run you about $75 plus shipping. A 9 1/2 shouldn't cost more than $40 unless its NIB and an early vintage.

Gold mine I have! I tell you what...
    IMAG0059.jpg
    Erly 9-1/2 "E" model, Knukle capped Columian 9-1/2, AND a Stanley 9-1/4

Should I plan my retirement now? Or, later, since I just retired this week.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    Well, I did not buy the WR yet, but I placed bids on a couple Stanleys, and it seems those buying on eBay are willing to bid up to about $95.

Not me, or not yet, at least. I set my bids at $78.

A quick search turns this up:

One for $150 on Jon Zimmer.

A site called Patented Antiques has no 4-1/2 Stanleys, but some Bedrocks at near $300 to $450. I ain't a collector.

Old Tools has one for $115 and another one for $225.
    Where are you looking on Ebay??? I just checked Ebay completed listings for Stanley 9 1/2 block planes and there were over 100 sold in the last 30 days ranging in price from $11. to a high of $80.

My mistake. And not a typo, either. Just not thinking.

I meant a 4-1/2 smoother. I already have a 9-1/2.

You can edit the title to a thread by hitting "Edit Post" and then the "Go Advanced" button.

Why are you pursuing a 4 1/2? What do you perceive as its value over a 4 in your work? If a 4 will do, they are 1/3rd the price of a 4 1/2. And to my mind better to use inmost situations.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Heft. Size.

I have a nice Primus smoother.

Okay. Enjoy.

Gene,

There are not many #4 1/2s around compared to #4s. The scarcity makes them more valuable to collectors, and since the #4 1/2 seems to be more popular these days for actual users, as well as collectors, that makes them sell for more money than the #4s also, often times quite a bit more. Thus the greater demand for the 4 1/2s makes the prices seem pretty high. (Look at the price of a 604 1/2 Bedrock sometime.)

For what ever reason, the prices of good vintage hand tools has gone nuts on Ebay lately. I look at planes a lot, and the prices now are significantly higher than a year ago, as far as I can tell. (I tracked the Stanley Bedrock and Bailey prices for a while early last year, still have the figures, and they have gone up.) I don't look at saws very often, but do on occasion, always having to remind myself that "I don't need any more handsaws" all the while thinking that a Disston #12 would sure be nice....but "I don't need any more handsaws." I can say that the price of Disstion handsaws has appeared to go nuts on Ebay. I started a post on Ebay prices going nuts a while back if you want to look at the comments.

That said, if you wait around long enough for a bargain, you can sometimes buy at a better price than is typical. Typically, the planes that have been restored sell for a lot more than the ones that are in pretty bad need of being cleaned up. Thus, if you don't mind spending elbow grease instead of money, you can save quite a bit of cash.

Stew

WoodRiver 4 1/2

$170

Done.

20 minutes prepping/honing and you're going to work.

Instead of spending $100 (if you're lucky) and:
    ...scratching your head wondering why something didn't show up in the Ebay pic
    ...or the blade needs replacing
    ...or you've got hours of work getting the sole flat
    ...or the crack in the handle
    ...you get the picture

Ask yourself whether you wanna be a plane collector or a plane user?
    I've given up on Ebay everybody thinks they have a collector item.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 04-20-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks, Robert.

You nudged me over the line. I am a user, and it's time to get to work. The big heavy Woodriver is the one for me. My grandson can eBay it away to someone someday.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Gold mine I have! I tell you what...
    IMAG0059.jpg
    Erly 9-1/2 "E" model, Knukle capped Columian 9-1/2, AND a Stanley 9-1/4

Should I plan my retirement now? Or, later, since I just retired this week.....
    Congrats on retirement...