Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Live Edge Split Fix...please help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Question How did my title get changed???
    I changed it, Bert. Your title was quite vague so I made it more clear. This way when someone searches on such a thing, your thread will come up in the search.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

You don't need a moisture meter to know when this piece has reached equilibrium with its surroundings, just a scale. When the weight stabilizes it has lost as much moisture as it is going to in ambient conditions. Then do whatever you are going to do with it. Be aware that if the average ambient relative humidity changes more than 10 points or so the checks will change size and any filler may loosen up. What you have is by nature a large dimensionally unstable anisotropic hygroscopic object. The one good thing is that if it has not yet reached equilibrium with its surroundings it will soon because of the rapid water loss through end grain.

yes your right does explain problem better Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I changed it, Bert. Your title was quite vague so I made it more clear. This way when someone searches on such a thing, your thread will come up in the search.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

dimensionally unstable anisotropic hygroscopic object HUH oh and yea I threw all my scales out cause I'm fat and don't want to know how fat I am LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    You don't need a moisture meter to know when this piece has reached equilibrium with its surroundings, just a scale. When the weight stabilizes it has lost as much moisture as it is going to in ambient conditions. Then do whatever you are going to do with it. Be aware that if the average ambient relative humidity changes more than 10 points or so the checks will change size and any filler may loosen up. What you have is by nature a large dimensionally unstable anisotropic hygroscopic object. The one good thing is that if it has not yet reached equilibrium with its surroundings it will soon because of the rapid water loss through end grain.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander