Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What got you into laser engraving and more

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior hall View Post
    i DO EVERY THING on the spot and no one is interested in nothing What am i doing wrong
    Ever tried to sell ice to an eskimo?

If you're not selling, it's one of three things:
    1) You're not advertising well
    2) You're not marketing to the correct clientelle
    3) Both 1) and 2)

I could fill a booth with laser-engraved stuff from one end to the other... doesn't mean what you're making has any interest to people, no matter how cheap it is. And if you have to sell cheap, what's the point in selling?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Ever tried to sell ice to an eskimo?

If you're not selling, it's one of three things:
    1) You're not advertising well
    2) You're not marketing to the correct clientelle
    3) Both 1) and 2)

I could fill a booth with laser-engraved stuff from one end to the other... doesn't mean what you're making has any interest to people, no matter how cheap it is. And if you have to sell cheap, what's the point in selling?
    Or

4) You're not making what people want.
    5) Your products need refining.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

What are you doing wrong? Not a thing. It's the venue, and it's clientele.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    What are you doing wrong? Not a thing. It's the venue, and it's clientele.
    Flea markets and craft shows. I did two craft shows a long time ago with metal art. Zero sales. I did get a couple orders after the show. Sold more on eBay to West coast and East coast buyers who wanted something special from the Midwest.

Website sales, word of month. Never carry the "I will engrave for you mugs, glasses or etc.? Everything is made to order. Something you can't buy at Walmart or Menards.

Slow but sure with the lasers, both of them are paid for and I did not mortgage the house.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Me, personally, I would never engrave things while you wait, and it's really really rare for me to let anyone watch the lasers run. In my experience with that, it cheapens the value of what we do. They see it engrave something in 30 seconds and say "Wow, that was fast", with fast equating to "cheap". Of course I could explain that it was fast because we invested in equipment, and it was fast because I spent time setting the files up prior to them walking up to it, but in the end, it's just not worth having to explain it. It's easier just not to allow people to see them run. I've had more than one case of people seeing it run, thinking it was cool, and buying their own machine and trying to compete with us. Doesn't work out well for them, but I don't think I'll make it any easier for them by showing them my tools, equipment, and knowledge for free.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Junior its been said a thousand time here that your not going to make money over night with a laser and if the lasers the only tool in your box its going to be ten times as hard. I've experienced the same frustrations as you. I once sat at a large pull of area off the interstate where both north and south bound traffic had to pass to get to the rest area coming and going. This particular rest area is also a scenic view area and literally hundreds of cars and trucks stop here an hour. I sat there with my stuff set up for 4 hours and not one car or truck pulled in. I just couldn't believe that happened, still when I think about it can't believe it. I don't know what kind of Items you make but one thing you want to make sure its the very best work you can do. Also you might try making things unique to the area, if your near the coast make some light houses for that particular area, get some seashells and engrave a light house on them, with NC , If your close to Camp Lejeune make stuff that might appeal to Marines. If your near Deals Gap make motorcycle related Items. Use your imagination and try area specific Items and see if that works. Its a trial and error thing.

If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I rarely make anything (with my laser). Some here do well with it, but I had no luck in that market. Now, on the laser side of my business, I'm mostly a service company staying very, busy lasering customer owned items. Once every few weeks, I look around the shop and see no work... When it does happen, it's just a matter of hours to be back-logged again. I do have a website, but don't do ANY type of paid advertising. Been there, Done that, Wasted my money. Word of mouth is VERY powerful.

Two key words for anyone new at this: "Patience" & "Diversify"
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

It's important to understand that laser or any other engraving is not an impulse business. To think that you can park yourself someplace and people will come running to you is flawed from the start.
    At best you will be a curiosity.

Tim said it right--engraving is a service business. The quicker you can line up some commercial clients the quicker you will begin to have success.

I know there are a few here who swear by "word of mouth" as a means of spreading the word. In my nearly 19 years I can say I've had not more than one or two customers as a result of that and they were retail customers which is not my target.

Three important things:
    1. stop thinking product and think service
    2. find a means of marketing your service
    3. improve the quality of your service
    Last edited by Mike Null; 04-22-2015 at 3:44 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Junior hall View Post
    Holly cow Ive been at the flea market set up for 3 weeks and no one is interested in nothing as i got drinking glass wood mirrors even blue jean denim and still nothing People stop and look and that's it Heck my drinking glasses i selling for 5 bucks a mirror is 10 bucks ( 12x12 ) inch wood same thing No one is interested in nothing as i got 5 books with over 2000 different designs pictures The books are the vector art collection. i DO EVERY THING on the spot and no one is interested in nothing What am i doing wrong
    Don't give up Junior

Make up a plaque or 2, some name tags and other items, then hit the pavement. Go to the local Chamber of Commerce and let them know what you do. Hit all the clubs (not those kind). Fishing, hunting, bowling, scouts.
    Gardening, RC flyers. You never know what may open a door. I talk big sitting here without any equipment yet but I've thinking hard about it. I'm going down a different road as I'm not wanting a business just a hobby.
    My point is don't give up. Find that niche and have fun.

Gozzie
    Thunder Laser MARS 90 (130 watt)
    RD Works V8
    1 Phillips Screwdriver
    1 Straight Edge
    1 Hammer
    1 Dull Chisel
    1 Pencil Sharpener (manually operated)

He's missing the obvious link. Pet related products. He's a dog trainer. Sell dog tags to people that sell dogs and cats. Work out arrangements with vets. Create displays with examples and options that look really professional and walk into vets or pet stores and ask them to partner with you. I know a number of people who have made really good money selling pet tags alone, not to mention all the other stuff that goes with it.

Once those relationships are established, get the laserbuzz pet series and build a display for those, take them to your already established clients and ask them if they are interested in that.

You know about dogs, sell dog related stuff. It's what you know. There's no need to go learn new markets from scratch, you already know the dog market. Use that to your advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    He's missing the obvious link. Pet related products. He's a dog trainer. Sell dog tags to people that sell dogs and cats. Work out arrangements with vets. Create displays with examples and options that look really professional and walk into vets or pet stores and ask them to partner with you. I know a number of people who have made really good money selling pet tags alone, not to mention all the other stuff that goes with it.

Once those relationships are established, get the laserbuzz pet series and build a display for those, take them to your already established clients and ask them if they are interested in that.

You know about dogs, sell dog related stuff. It's what you know. There's no need to go learn new markets from scratch, you already know the dog market. Use that to your advantage.
    Yes! Excellent advice.

Don't forget Pet Urns. That alone is very big.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post

Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Excellent suggestion. This month's A&E magazine has a series on engraving memorials. http://a-e-mag.com/
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

To all ive done that to every vets office there is in 3 different countys Forsyth Davidson county Guilford county in North Carolina I have even went to petco and petsmart and also several of the mom and pops pet stores I bought over 400 dollars worth of pet tags and license plates from Chewbaka and got no one interested in nothing even bought 100 dollars worth of drinking glasses from a wholesale restaurant wholesaler. This is why i asked about who one got started as i lobe training dogs just no one has any money these days to afford 800 bucks for basic obedience training I will try to do this again with petstores again may be things have changed since 3 months ago Thanks once again to all
    STILL A NEWBY LEARNING MY WAY
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v