Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What got you into laser engraving and more

Then something is wrong. Your prices are too high or your quality is not what people are looking for. If you're in the dog business and you can't sell one pet tag, you've got something else going on. Show some photos of what you did and let us look at them, along with the pricing you offered them and we'll try to help.

What did your display look like? Did you have one? What did you do, walk in with a couple of engraved tags and show them? Explain what you have, show photos of what you did, and tell us how you approached it and we'll see if we can't help you figure it out.

You're not going to sell them at Petco, when they have a machine in their store that makes them. Think stores that sell puppies and kittens, breeders, vets, etc, locally owned pet stores.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I went in and spoke with the office manager and told him / her what i do engraving mirrors wood drinking glasses and dog tags and showed them several they liked all that i had ( I don not have none to show now as i let them have it all ) as i did 49 each of glasses mirrors and wood with different type of breeds of dogs. I left my name and number and called back 1 week to 9 days later and spoke with the office manager and he / she said that they still got my name and number and if any one is interested they will give my name and phone number to them The dog tags i was selling them for 5 bucks 12x12 mirror and wood was 10 bucks drinking glasses were 5 bucks They all liked them that i had and left to show customers but haven't gotten a nar word or call. The dog breeds they even said looked as good as if the dog was sitting there But like said no one has called me for a nar thing Just dont understand what i am doing wrong as with a lot of these people they dont have money for electric but will take care of there pets as they are family to them but any extra money they dont have Barely got enough for food grocery's. I go in with nice pair of pants and a nice button down shirt nice shoes every thing is dressy. So i am not understanding if i am doing some thing wrong or its the economy the way it is High Point NC was the furniture capital of the world and most of the furniture company's have closed and if still open they have skeleton crews just enough people for the little bit of work they do get in.. I am mainly looking as this as a hobby but also make a little extra money on the side
    STILL A NEWBY LEARNING MY WAY
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

Without seeing photos, it's impossible for us to critique it. Obviously there is some reason no one's calling. Like I said, you need a DISPLAY made to put on the counters that you give to them. How many pet owners do you think saw the tags sitting on the office managers desk? (hint: zero). How many would have seen it if it was in a counter top 8 1/2" x 11" display? Every one of them.

To me, it sounds like your problem is visibility in that market. Your products are visible because they are sitting on someone's desk. How many people do you think the office manager is showing on a daily basis? There is ZERO incentive for her to sell FOR you. Make the display, try it again. Let the display be your salesperson, not the office manager. When all the customers are asking about ordering one, while checking in or out, it'll get their attention.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks Scott Shephard i will make a display case next and see how that works Any thing right now will help me just got to get my name out there like did with training dogs but with training dogs back then it was easy Once again thanks
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

Not a display case, a counter top display. Two different things.

Do you have a website? Business cards?

Hi I am with Scott on this you know the dog business start there then move left and right of it and you will grow
    remember if people don't know what you can do they cant buy it and keep it simple as you cant be all things to all people
    hang in there Frank
    Shenhui Laser G570 80W RECI

Adobe CS6, Corel x6 and other bits and all of which I struggle with

I am from the West coast of Ireland thus I chatter a lot

Thanks Frank Berry thanks for your words of encouragement

Scott Shepherd sorry i meant county display case not display case sorry correction counter top display.
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

Quote Originally Posted by Junior hall View Post
    Thanks Frank Berry thanks for your words of encouragement

Scott Shepherd sorry i meant county display case not display case sorry correction counter top display.
    Give the Petco guy a reason to promote your stuff. For example, Introductory offer, price them at $9.95 each and give him $5 for each one he sells. Make sure you have a sticker with your name and phone number attached to the bottom. Your losing money but at least you will see what sells and what does not.

Remember the guys and gals on here are pro's they have done this for years. You can't expect to buy a machine and start raking in the money the next week.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Oh it doesn't work like that dern Bill George i thought it did NO just kidding. I hAVEspent about 1500 bucks on oak and aldern wood and engraved with all sorts if items and also spent about 923 bucks on drinking glasses and got all kinds of mirrors for free from a mirror company there scraps as they want to call it any thing less than 24 inches is scrap to them. Ive had this engraver since April 24th 2014 and have done all kinds of things but nothing to make money from it..

I am going to just focus my self on the animal business aspect for right now and see how that goes thanks all for the words of encuragement
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Remember the guys and gals on here are pro's they have done this for years. You can't expect to buy a machine and start raking in the money the next week.
    So true. I've noticed through my own past experience that there is this 'wow' factor when you first set up your machine and start making things. You're enthralled by the stuff your doing, and you think that everyone will also be so enthralled that they will just pull out their wallets and throw money at it. It just doesn't work that way. There's a big leap between a curious person and a paying customer. Even though most people find laser engraved items fascinating, the actual pool of people who will actually pay money for some cool engraved object is very, very small. There has to be a need for it beyond just the novelty, and as many have mentioned here before, offering services over products may be a preferable path to better revenue. And not to dampen the enthusiasm, but a laser engraver by itself may not be enough to build a thriving business. It can bring in some business, but it seems that the members on here with successful business models offer other services/tools that compliment the laser work.

Don Corbeil

AutoCAD 2000i

I agree Don,
    I do mostly industrial labelling now for electrical contractors etc.
    I also have a nice display area with assorted glasses, nicely engraved wooden coasters, plaques, acrylic awards etc etc.
    Nearly every person that visits, including our industrial clients looks over all of the items in our display, and they are amazed at the variety of lasered items...
    BUT--- Very few of them ever go on to buy any of the 'fancy' items.

Junior...
    I think you could look at industrial labelling as well, i.e. electrical, plumbing, air conditioning contractors etc. The best target is the companies who make electrical switchboards.
    It won't cost much to buy a couple of ¼ sheets of basic 1/16" Rowmark material in basic colours, don't go for the cheap junk, and don't go overboard with colours, just do a white / black and red / white sample, with nice adhesive backing, some with screw holes etc. (PM me and I'll email you some artwork you can use for samples).

But Junior you MUST provide quality / classy finished items, at a fair price to both you and your client, and provide GREAT SERVICE, maybe provide free delivery for local clients etc for orders over say $40.
    And do your very best to provide a quick turnaround service.

Best of luck mate.
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop

I hAVEspent about 1500 bucks on oak and aldern wood and engraved with all sorts if items and also spent about 923 bucks on drinking glasses and got all kinds of mirrors for free from a mirror company there scraps as they want to call it any thing less than 24 inches is scrap to them. Ive had this engraver since April 24th 2014 and have done all kinds of things but nothing to make money from it..

I am going to just focus my self on the animal business aspect for right now and see how that goes thanks all for the words of encouragement
    Junior I don't see anything in your spending for a simple website. That website address on your business cards will let you showcase what you do and provide a way for them to contact you via email or phone. Does not cost a lot for hosting, maybe a $100 a year and someone to do the website for you. It can be done using WordPress and maybe one of your friends can do it. You don't need a fancy Shopping Cart setup, just a website to display what you do, and a way for interested customers to Contact you. It takes 6 months or so before the Search engines pick up your site and the longer its up the better.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Yes a website and business cards are a must, Vista print does free business cards, you pay sxh, several place to get free websites, and cheap hosting. I pay $60 a year for a website and another $15 for a host to point to my site. But you could just get a free website and you business card to tell people were to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Junior I don't see anything in your spending for a simple website. That website address on your business cards will let you showcase what you do and provide a way for them to contact you via email or phone. Does not cost a lot for hosting, maybe a $100 a year and someone to do the website for you. It can be done using WordPress and maybe one of your friends can do it. You don't need a fancy Shopping Cart setup, just a website to display what you do, and a way for interested customers to Contact you. It takes 6 months or so before the Search engines pick up your site and the longer its up the better.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

sitting here scratching my head even balder sssshhhhhhhhhh. A lot of awesome advise I just like to make couple bucks here and there nothing major. Chris Anderson yes sir please email me and so i can see as im more of a see than read comprehend person

yes i agree the things that i have engraved is nice i was in shock and awwww so is a lot of my neighbors i gave away a lot of things to them and done alot of things for them and they told other friends but still didn't get me no where. Some way i will get my name out there just not as fast as i did with training dogs.

Seen a lot of youtube things being engraved and some of you alls work that you have showed on the forum and just wow awesome awesome things you all have done and shared. Thanks for sharing it makes me want to do engraving more.
    Once again thanks for the encouragement
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

...yes i agree the things that i have engraved is nice i was in shock and awwww so is a lot of my neighbors i gave away a lot of things to them and done alot of things for them and they told other friends but still didn't get me no where....
    Nothing I ever did for free has made me a dime. Not then & not in future business. Forget about the give-aways. I don't do charities either. Do just one for free and they want even more for free. Poor business model, with ZERO rate of return. People, especially business will respect you a whole lot more if you charge an honest price. Don't under charge and don't over charge either - you'll have to study your market to know the sweet spot. You charge less they don't respect you. Charge too much, they just walk away.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 04-22-2015 at 10:14 PM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC